2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Vicki's 40b  (Read 26177 times)

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
Vicki's 40b
« on: December 24, 2013, 19:34:12 »
So I've been sitting on this new build for about 3months, it took ages to get it started and keep the momentum going. 

I bought a 40b awhile back for the incredibly reasonable price of $33 due to a pricing error at petsmart and I've been building a stand for it ever since.

I have doors to finish off and then I'll be varnishing it, I can't wait for it to be done!

I'm planning on a 20g sump and have all the plumbing materials I need.  I'm also making a custom overflow and am going to be using herbie design.  Ive got to try and find some place that can drill my tank, I have the drill bit but am far too much of a chicken to do it myself. 

Stocking plans include moving the majority of corals from the 20g I have in to the new tank, I will be getting new rock and dipping the hell out of all my corals to get rid of the flatworms that have plagued my life for almost 2 years.  I'll also be moving my 3 fish over  and plan to add a watchman goby and possibly a wrasse.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
Re: Vicki's 40b
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 19:56:44 »
Impressive stand! Looks very nice.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 19:59:57 »
Thank you.  I had considered glass doors so i could make a display sump and might still do that at a later date but the wood doors i have now will do; i'm sick of waiting for it to be finished, i want to get my tank wet!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 20:45:10 »
Looks good.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 21:03:30 »
Looking very nice...will be following along.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 22:45:12 »
Thanks.  I have to give credit to my dad for helping me with the stand build, he's an extra set of hands and did all the power saw work (he's afraid i'll cut off a hand if i use the bigger power tools).

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 01:08:21 »
Looks great

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 04:05:59 »
Looking good!

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 16:33:03 »
Thanks,  I should get the stand painted this week and moved into my house next weekend, then just plumbing to do and I can get it wet finally.   

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 15:18:46 »
Stand was stained and I hated how it came it so I remanded it and varnished it instead. The wood grain has retained some of the stain but in a way that makes it look really cool as opposed to looking like a demented tiger which it's slit,y how it looked last week.

After staining and sanding

2 coats of varnish

I've made my overflow box, I might need to trim a bit off before I silicone it together.  Then drill the holes in the tank and finally install the overflow box. 

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 16:36:49 »
like the way it looks always enjoyed wood grain keep on reefing vic

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 17:42:53 »
Plumbing Is almost done.  I still need a few connector barbs which will be order and should arrive next week.  I'm planning an few leak test at work early next week and finishing off the doors will happen then too. 

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 18:56:42 »
Just be very very careful when moving the tank with that pipe sticking down. That puts a lot of stress on that panel. And just a little pressure will break the tank. Just speaking from experience. 

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 19:09:11 »
I thought about that, the only bits of plumbing that will be in when moving the tank are the bulkheads and the elbows inside the overflow box, everything else will come out for transportation.  That's also why the pipes are sitting on the tank until the leak test.  Ill probably end up putting bubble wrap or something inside the overflow to keep everything secure when moving it; luckily it will only be in the car for about a 3 minute drive.  I plan on getting some brackets to secure the pipes to the stand so they don't move around at all esp. when I have to adjust the age valve.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 19:24:45 »
On thin tanks, I cut a large piece of acrylic to double up on the thickness that the bulkhead goes through.   Not sure how much it helps, but it makes me feel better.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 19:30:09 »
On thin tanks, I cut a large piece of acrylic to double up on the thickness that the bulkhead goes through.   Not sure how much it helps, but it makes me feel better.

Not a bad idea and could have saved one of my triple 30's that cracked right at the bulkhead.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 19:42:09 »

That's a really great idea, my dads been helping me with it and he said this morning he was sure he was going to find the glass cracked between the bulkheads when he came to work.  I bet using a spare bit of plastic would at least put his mind at rest. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 20:20:15 »
It's finally wet!   :be happy:

Okay, so it's only a fw leak test but still the is water running through pipes and nothing leaks and everything works just like it should.  I am very happy.

I have to wait until next week, probably next weekend at this rate for my dad to come back from vacation so we can move the stand and tank to my house.

I've come up with stocking plans while I have been waiting.  I'm moving the 3 fish I have and plan on getting a school of 5 pj cardinals. 

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 20:30:25 »
I've come up with stocking plans while I have been waiting.  I'm moving the 3 fish I have and plan on getting a school of 5 pj cardinals.

Congrats! Cardinals would be cool, and it's very likely they will successfully reproduce in your tank.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 20:38:22 »
Thanks!  I thought they'd add a nice touch of movement and it'd be interesting to watch them interact.  My clowns tend to stay close to the rocks or tank sides and while the damsel is active he's alone and is skittish.  It would be very cool if they bred, I doubt I'd raise any fry but it would be great to see.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 20:44:41 »
Thanks!  I thought they'd add a nice touch of movement and it'd be interesting to watch them interact.  My clowns tend to stay close to the rocks or tank sides and while the damsel is active he's alone and is skittish.  It would be very cool if they bred, I doubt I'd raise any fry but it would be great to see.

The male cardinal would raise them in his mouth until they're big enough to be released.

google image.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 20:54:54 »
I had no idea they were mouth brooders, very cool!  Now I definitely have to get some and then hope they have little ones. 

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 08:10:01 »
Looks very good nice setup you will be happy and proud good job reef on

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 11:41:17 »
Tank will be wet with saltwater this weekend!  I've been working on the new scape.  I still need to pick up some new live rock to seed the tank and I still have a big gap at one side I'm not sure what to do with yet.  However, what I have so far I like. It's got what I'm looking for, space for fish swimming, room for coral growth, its off the tank walls so I can get in and clean.  It's also got lots of nice hiding spots for Bingley who likes to sleep in a cave. 

So far around 15lbs of very porous reefcleaners base rock.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 20:12:20 »
Very nice! Tagging along.
Chromiumlux