2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: looking for some new corals and need ideas.  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
looking for some new corals and need ideas.
« on: January 21, 2019, 15:20:30 »
I would like some fast growing acros/millis that are not to finicky and can handle 450 plus par.  I have a healthy colony of green slimmer and cali tort, ausie highlighter.   So I am looking for red, pink. and lighter blue corals to add color.  and don't want to spend 100$ a frag. looking for suggestions. or if you guys have anything your wanting to sell let me know.

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: looking for some new corals and need ideas.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 19:12:57 »
interested in montipora?

I have some acros also.

in cincinnati

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 19:35:45 »
How about the tabling red planet acro? I actually just picked a good sized frag of this up at the Cinci frag swap this past weekend. From what I've been reading looks to be a fast grower that gets even more red/pink with higher par.
-Slatts

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 21:31:15 »
The red planet is on top of my list how much did you pay and do you have a pick?  I have no idea what they cost in the hobby

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 21:33:21 »
Warhawk937,  you just outlined everyone's ideal dream " would like some fast growing acros/millis that are not to finicky", let me know when you find a few. All jokes aside, we all have these same thoughts every week. My 2cents - does finicky mean stable water parameters? You have the PAR it seems, 450 PAR, to give them that aspect and it sounds like water flow as well, now we need clean acros, real good water and of course the really tough part - Patients! Example the Sonjay Tenuis that I have did much of nothing for awhile - had good color but very slow growth, once it really encrusted it took off and is putting out some branches now. I have two other neat looking acros under the Ocean Revives -  great color but man are they slow growing?

Attached is the Tenuis -  great color but just now really starting to move.

Thoughts?

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 22:32:22 »
The red planet is on top of my list how much did you pay and do you have a pick?  I have no idea what they cost in the hobby

Its a little over a 1" tall, pretty decent width too. I ended up getting it for $30 dollars, not sure if that's a good deal or not. If you do find yourself picking up some SPS here in the future, be sure to look at the base of the frag. Make sure you see good growth down the base and spreading onto the disc of the frag plug. Usually is a good sign of a health/stability and also speaks to the quality of the seller that they aren't just clipping a piece from their mother colony and putting it for sale the following day.
-Slatts

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 22:43:27 »
Its a little over a 1" tall, pretty decent width too. I ended up getting it for $30 dollars, not sure if that's a good deal or not. If you do find yourself picking up some SPS here in the future, be sure to look at the base of the frag. Make sure you see good growth down the base and spreading onto the disc of the frag plug. Usually is a good sign of a health/stability and also speaks to the quality of the seller that they aren't just clipping a piece from their mother colony and putting it for sale the following day.

Eslatt, fresh cut and glued to live rock is my preferred method! The frags I have taken in and left on plugs seem to have more tendency to end up with stagnant growth. Just my experience for what it's worth.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 23:10:37 »
Tank pareneter
Kh 9.2-9.6
Cal 440-460
Po4.04
No3  5ppm

Water is stable and Corals we starting to take off. I don’t have experience with the sticks but that Cali tort is starting to branch and color up so I feel like I’m ready. I’ve kept that Aussie highlighter alive and yellow that’s gotta count for something. 

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 23:15:55 »
I’m ready to buy 4 or give acros to fill the right side of the tank i just want something other that green :be happy:

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 23:19:06 »
Brian I have a hard bonding that is complexly incrusted. And I cannot get any growth would you recommend re fragging it to spur some growth?

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 23:20:49 »
The so jay highlighter I got from you has put on a whopping 1/2” 😂

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 23:39:11 »
Eslatt, fresh cut and glued to live rock is my preferred method! The frags I have taken in and left on plugs seem to have more tendency to end up with stagnant growth. Just my experience for what it's worth.

This is good to know - it makes sense as I could see the coral being able to encrust onto porous seasoned LR faster than a flat, uncured ceramic disc. So at that rate, the growth on the frag plug, if being clipped anyway, would be trivial. Glad to see another reefer in my hometown :)
-Slatts

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 08:03:03 »
This is good to know - it makes sense as I could see the coral being able to encrust onto porous seasoned LR faster than a flat, uncured ceramic disc. So at that rate, the growth on the frag plug, if being clipped anyway, would be trivial. Glad to see another reefer in my hometown :)
That’s exactly my theory anyway. I can’t prove this but I believe the coral knows the difference between live rock and a ceramic plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 08:28:52 »
Warhawk937,  you just outlined everyone's ideal dream " would like some fast growing acros/millis that are not to finicky", let me know when you find a few. All jokes aside, we all have these same thoughts every week. My 2cents - does finicky mean stable water parameters? You have the PAR it seems, 450 PAR, to give them that aspect and it sounds like water flow as well, now we need clean acros, real good water and of course the really tough part - Patients! Example the Sonjay Tenuis that I have did much of nothing for awhile - had good color but very slow growth, once it really encrusted it took off and is putting out some branches now. I have two other neat looking acros under the Ocean Revives -  great color but man are they slow growing?

Attached is the Tenuis -  great color but just now really starting to move.

Thoughts?

What PAR do you have the Sonjay Tenuis under. I got a piece from you awhile back and it's doing well but I've had little to no growth. The rest of my SPS are doing great and I've had good growth. I'm thinking I need more PAR for it.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 08:32:38 »
Brian I have a hard bonding that is complexly incrusted. And I cannot get any growth would you recommend re fragging it to spur some growth?

It’s a judgement call but sometimes a little nip will wake it back up.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 08:44:16 »
Sorry I cannot type on a cellphone.   I was trying to say that my garf bonsai is not growing.   the frag and plug look like an ice cream cone  it been in the tanks for 4months what would you do?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 13:24:31 »

I took a few pictures of SPS corals that I have had for a while that while they are growing, their encrusting almost always stops at the edge of the plug. When I directly glue them to the rock, I don’t typically see this. They end up encrusting much better

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 14:29:04 »
that is nice to know I may end up cutting the coral off of the frag plug and glue it down.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 17:02:21 »
What PAR do you have the Sonjay Tenuis under. I got a piece from you awhile back and it's doing well but I've had little to no growth. The rest of my SPS are doing great and I've had good growth. I'm thinking I need more PAR for it.

Zachegg,  That coral is under about 450 - 500 PAR Halide, it may not need that much? Like I said this one took awhile to get to do much at first.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 17:05:48 »

Warhawk937,

I understand better now what you are getting at, I was not meaning to say that water was a problem. I do my frags probably 50/50 with leaving them on the frag plug - it does seem to take time if they need to cover a plug then get to a porous piece of rock.

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 00:30:15 »

I took a few pictures of SPS corals that I have had for a while that while they are growing, their encrusting almost always stops at the edge of the plug. When I directly glue them to the rock, I don’t typically see this. They end up encrusting much better

Warhawk937,

I understand better now what you are getting at, I was not meaning to say that water was a problem. I do my frags probably 50/50 with leaving them on the frag plug - it does seem to take time if they need to cover a plug then get to a porous piece of rock.

Yep, looks really good, solid base and good growth from it. And Agame confirmed he has experienced the same findings. I am definitely going to use these tips in my next big build when this fish tank room happens!
-Slatts

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 22:46:24 »
For me, the sps seem to grow fine off a plug onto the rock. But yess I do have a few frags that won’t grow at all and a few that will lose its colors. This hobby is such a mystery. Like this simple red planet sps you can see it grew over the plug and into the rocks and now it’s a colony

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 18:35:52 »

Sonny, that is a very nice looking Red Planet acro, I have had good luck with that one as well. 

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 18:36:43 »

What is the mini colony to the left of the Red Planet? Blue with yellow polyps?

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 19:46:19 »
What is the mini colony to the left of the Red Planet? Blue with yellow polyps?

Thank you for the compliment. Red planet is a cheaper sps but it’s one of my favorite. Btw I don’t remember what that green and blue sps is called. I got it from Lazy