2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How to Set Up a Refugium  (Read 642 times)

Offline marinedepot

• Juvenile
  • Proud Sponsor
    • Marine Depot
How to Set Up a Refugium
« on: March 06, 2019, 20:06:12 »
How to Set Up a Refugium

VIDEO:
Harvesting Macroalgae To Control Nitrate and Phosphate

http://enews.marinedepot.com/q/J38dnGtqbKrrR6ffapAfV2G46iX5GC6gtjZbc2aXVe4lNAWQyLpFsgK1e

Marine Depot
714-385-0080
social@marinedepot.com

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
Re: How to Set Up a Refugium
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 13:18:06 »
I really like this post... I was actually trying to figure out how i could add something like this into my sump... If you check my build thread i have a 20g sump only divided into 2 chambers and wasn't sure if or how i could add a refugium.  Would the CPR CITR 2 work in the inlet side of my sump?  I thought i could attach it to the glass divider for my waterflow.  With a light would the setup be okay?  I don't want to do the return side b/c the water level fluctuates a lot on that side with evaporation and such so the inlet side is always consistend due to the baffles.   Let me know as i would love to add some chaeto to help fight off tank algae that could arrise.

Thanks,
Mark
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline dbjonesjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 13:54:18 »
You likely will not get a reply to this from them. However, a good easy and quick way is also to take something like a basket used to hold plants in ponds to put the chaeto in! They are like $3 at Lowe’s.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 14:26:16 by marinedepot »

Offline marinedepot

• Juvenile
  • Proud Sponsor
    • Marine Depot
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 14:24:05 »
I really like this post... I was actually trying to figure out how i could add something like this into my sump... If you check my build thread i have a 20g sump only divided into 2 chambers and wasn't sure if or how i could add a refugium.  Would the CPR CITR 2 work in the inlet side of my sump?  I thought i could attach it to the glass divider for my waterflow.  With a light would the setup be okay?  I don't want to do the return side b/c the water level fluctuates a lot on that side with evaporation and such so the inlet side is always consistend due to the baffles.   Let me know as i would love to add some chaeto to help fight off tank algae that could arrise.

Thanks,
Mark

You can likely clean out the first drain chamber and turn it into a refugium without the need of a CPR In-Tank; just dont use sand and the turbulence from the drain will be fine. You can consider creating a sleeve or baffle of sorts to dampen the drain water as it hits the sump but personally, I would just forego the substrate and use some rubble. If you wanted to keep all the stuff you have in the first chamber, the CPR In-Tank or even the AquaMaxx HOB-R hang-on refugium would work. The CPR just needs to fit down into the chamber so be sure to check dimensions; the AquaMaxx HOB-R will be a little bigger and easily hang-off the side of your sump. 

https://mdshop.us/HOB-R
https://mdshop.us/2SPCJjR

Take care and happy reekfeeping!

-Robert @ MD
Marine Depot
714-385-0080
social@marinedepot.com

Offline marinedepot

• Juvenile
  • Proud Sponsor
    • Marine Depot
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 14:26:31 »
You likely will not get a reply to this from them. However, a good easy and quick way is also to take something like a basket used to hold plants in ponds to put the chaeto in! They are like $3 at Lowe’s.

We are always happy to help and do our best to communicate with our customers in a timely and friendly manner.  Feel free to ping us directly customercare@marinedepot.com if you ever need help or simply have some questions!
Marine Depot
714-385-0080
social@marinedepot.com

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 14:55:28 »
Thanks to all for the replies...  In my inlet side the inlet water is channelled through a wide 5" pipe to dampen it.  I would have to contain the chaeto though somehow as i have a feed pump for my external skimmer also in this chamber and i wouldn't want it being sucked into this so i don't think i could just do it free floating in the chamber.  I'll look at the plant baskets, but the CPR one looks like it would be good as well.  I would just need to figure out lighting for this all.
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline dbjonesjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 14:56:03 »
I am impressed Marine Depot. Looks like I’ll be putting in an order soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline marinedepot

• Juvenile
  • Proud Sponsor
    • Marine Depot
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 15:30:54 »
Thanks to all for the replies...  In my inlet side the inlet water is channelled through a wide 5" pipe to dampen it.  I would have to contain the chaeto though somehow as i have a feed pump for my external skimmer also in this chamber and i wouldn't want it being sucked into this so i don't think i could just do it free floating in the chamber.  I'll look at the plant baskets, but the CPR one looks like it would be good as well.  I would just need to figure out lighting for this all.

If you send us a picture of your sump and where you intend to set up the fuge we may be able to offer light recommendations, even if it's something we do not carry. If you are unable to post a photo here we can be reached at social@marinedepot.com.
Marine Depot
714-385-0080
social@marinedepot.com

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 15:33:50 »
Thank you for that.. i will try to take a picture tonight and post one up in this thread.. :)
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline marinedepot

• Juvenile
  • Proud Sponsor
    • Marine Depot
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 15:54:11 »
I am impressed Marine Depot. Looks like I’ll be putting in an order soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thank you! When you mentioned earlier that you didn't think we'd reply to this thread, we were a little surprised. We always reply! We don't get as much engagement on regional forums/clubs as we do on sites like R2R, but we treat every reply the same and try to respond as quickly as possible. Chatting with other hobbyists is arguably the best part of the job! We don't take that for granted.

Jeff @ Marine Depot
Marine Depot
714-385-0080
social@marinedepot.com

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 00:10:50 »
I know it's been awhile, but I finally took a picture of the sump..  I didn't have as much room as I thought..  I'm not sure one of the preformed refugiums will work... I have to shrink my picture but I'll post a shot of the sump.
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 13:28:15 »
sorry for the delay, i had to get this picture sized down to be able to upload.  After takiing the picture, I don't think I'll have enough room for the hang in refugium?? but I'll still post it and get your opinion.  This is the inlet side of my sump.  The large diameter pvc pipe is in there to reduce the bubbles that were in the sump from the inlet.  The green pad is just a phosphate pad to help pull anything out, and the other filter pad is in there in case i ever need to setup a hospital tank i have a filter pad i can throw in there.  And the disconnected hose is the feed supply for my Skimmer that I haven't put back into the system yet.

But let me know what you think as I would really like to try to incorporate a cheato refugium to help reduce phospates...

Thanks,
Mark
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline marinedepot

• Juvenile
  • Proud Sponsor
    • Marine Depot
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 15:32:03 »
I've had Christian from our technical support team take a look and he would actually like to talk to you about possibly making some improvements to your sump to improve your water quality. Feel free to call 714-385-0080 and ask for Christian whenever you get a chance. He agrees that, based on what we can see in the photo, that there really isn't room to use one of the CPR refugiums in there.
Marine Depot
714-385-0080
social@marinedepot.com

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 16:34:00 »
sump pictures
65 g AGA - Kettering