2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Inside the Ocean Revive - Arctic S026.  (Read 6013 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Inside the Ocean Revive - Arctic S026.
« on: March 22, 2014, 00:38:37 »
I was on the market for some replacement LED lighting for my Frag Tank. The things that were most important to me were;
   - Proven Reliability at the best possible price
   - Good Customer Service & Response Time when things went wrong
   - Spacing between LED's for a better even distribution of light over a larger area
   - Wide Optics
  - A traditional heat sink
   - More Blue then White LED with a couple Red
   - Dimming

Things that were not important to me
   - Internal controller (Dusk/Dawn)
   - Apex controllable
   - Night LED

After a few weeks of research I landed on the Arctic S026 distributed by Ocean Revive. A few emails with them to negotiate the price and we had 5 units in route. I paid for them last Sunday and he shipped out Monday morning and arrived today.

They were packaged well and came with the LED unit, 2 power cords and 2 adjustable hangers. One didn't come in a retail box like the rest. Not sure why, it appeared new, no dust or any indication of usage.

The fixiture casing's feels sturdy and has a nice dark gray matte finish to it. It feels like a powder coat of some sort and looks to be made from aluminum.

I opened one up to get a look inside and was pleased with the wire management. The builder did a nice job on the layout. All wiring is custom fit has moisture protected connections and extra wrap to keep cords where they should be.

Here you can see the LED's are spaced out to utilize the full 16x10.5" of the fixture. That was important to me so I didn't have an extremely hot spot center of light and could utilize the full intensity of the light without burning up the coral directly bellow it. Another feature of the LED layout I wasn't looking for, but found to be a good design is the spacing in center between the 4 banks of LED's. This allows you to put the fixture over a tank brace and minimize the light loss. Because of this I ordered an extra 5th unit to replace the current LED in my display tank that is directly over the center brace.

The LED color selection is just what I was looking for. It comes with a total of 48 individual lights running on two channels. [float=right][/float]

Channel White

- Red 660nm   2pcs
    - Green 520nm   2pcs
    - White 12000K   8pcs
    - White 10000K   6pcs
    - Violet 420nm   6pcs

Channel Blue

- Blue 450nm      16pcs
    - Blue 470nm   8pcs

I installed one over the frag tank and I really like the color. With both the white and blue channel at the same level it puts off the perfect color for me. I am satisfied that I made the right choice however I will check back in at 3 months, six and a year. Hopefully in a year from now all the lights will be in good working condition, coral will have grown and if there is an issue it will be handled well by Ocean Revive.

Note the pic to the right is from distributors website. I wasn't able to get a good shot of the colors. http://www.oceanrevivellc.com

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Re: Inside the Ocean Revive - Arctic S026.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 05:01:08 »
Great review. If they hold up I will be trying them out as well.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 07:34:13 »
Thanks for sharing. They look well put to gether. On e hung, please let us know how you corals look under them. Also at the end of you daily light cycle, do they still feel cool to the touch?
 There ate many of us looking for reasonable led lighting such as these. I'm really hoping they work out.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:49:13 »
Looks like a nice full spectrum fixture.

Did you test power draw?

Are both power supplies the same size?

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 19:46:50 »
Very nice find! Price is nice too! What type of leds are used in this fixture?
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 23:11:07 »
Yes both power supplies are the same size. I haven't yet tested the power draw but I will do that. They are bridgelux LED's. Today wasn't a good day with them. I took one to Lowes to get some mounting hardware and when loading up the car I left the light in the cart. Didn't realize it until I got home. Went back and it was gone.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 21:43:44 »
Just checking in. I have had these lights for about 15 months. Not a lick of an issue and have since purchased 2 more. The new ones look identical to the ones 15 months old so lights have kept their color and output.