Frag Swap

Author Topic: Miles' 150gal build  (Read 36738 times)

Offline thepipbull

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: mil3sdavis' 150gal build
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2017, 08:45:51 »
Gotta make it easy on the sitter....I just had to do the same with mine. Frozen food was to difficult for them so went with pellets and flake....
 A lot  of people are looking forward to the shrimp breeding. keep us informed when you start it up again 

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2017, 08:20:35 »
Have some bad news.....my massive moti is now gone. You can kind see in a pic that I posted a while back with the basket for the purple tank that it had some discoloration... well that discoloration I believe was the start of some sort of necrosis. No matter what I did (water changes, dosing, removing affected areas, etc) nothing seemed to stop the spread... over the course of about the last month it went from looking mostly alright to completely dead. Here's a couple pics. The first it form about 3 weeks ago, the second was taken last night before I took it out of the tank.

In other news, my Snowflakes are laying! My Darwin' s laid 2 clutches once the Snowflakes started up, but have since stopped. No I just need to get those Black Photons to start thinking about children....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:26:53 by Miles »

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2017, 10:13:35 »
Man that is heartbreaking! Watching something just dwindle away no matter what you do to save it. Did you think of submitting a Triton test to see if you have any heavy metals in you system?

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2017, 09:18:47 »
Man that is heartbreaking! Watching something just dwindle away no matter what you do to save it. Did you think of submitting a Triton test to see if you have any heavy metals in you system?

I hadn't really thought about it. I think the issue is related to poor husbandry honestly... Since having a kid last December, my tank has been pretty neglected.

I've currently got a pretty bad algae and aiptasia issue. Thinking about setting up a Cheato reactor (or maybe just throwing some cheato in my sump). At this point the aiptasia issue is so far out of control, I'm not even sure how to go about tackling it. I occasionally use Aiptasia -X  which seems to initially kill it off, but its all back within a couple weeks.  I wish I could find a Copperband that will eat more than just aiptasia.

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2017, 18:17:25 »
Sound like a good time to breed berghia nudibranchs. Im sure there are a couple people on here that would buy them if you were able to keep them going.

Offline Miles

• Adult
Re: Miles' 150gal build
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2017, 09:49:42 »
Sound like a good time to breed berghia nudibranchs. Im sure there are a couple people on here that would buy them if you were able to keep them going.

Just read this.... http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/11/breeder

Might have to give it a try...

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2018, 10:20:05 »
Well... its been a while...

I ended up getting a file fish. It hasn't completely wiped out my Aiptasia problem, but it has definitely made a big dent in it. Since I got the filefish about 4 months ago, it has probably doubled in size.

So the other day my GFCI tripped several times, it took a little trial and error and discovered that one of the recirculating pumps on my skimmer was causing it. So here's the trouble, the pump is a Sicce PSK1000, when I bought it originally from Avast Marine with the CS3 skimmer it was $85 (The skimmer has 2 of them).... I don't know if this pump was discontinued or what happened but I have seen it listed online anywhere from $120 to $160. I'm not going to pay that much to replace it, so I'm probably just going to live with the one pump. 

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2018, 21:43:38 »
Well... its been a while...

I ended up getting a file fish. It hasn't completely wiped out my Aiptasia problem, but it has definitely made a big dent in it. Since I got the filefish about 4 months ago, it has probably doubled in size.

So the other day my GFCI tripped several times, it took a little trial and error and discovered that one of the recirculating pumps on my skimmer was causing it. So here's the trouble, the pump is a Sicce PSK1000, when I bought it originally from Avast Marine with the CS3 skimmer it was $85 (The skimmer has 2 of them).... I don't know if this pump was discontinued or what happened but I have seen it listed online anywhere from $120 to $160. I'm not going to pay that much to replace it, so I'm probably just going to live with the one pump. 
I had 2 sicce 2500 pumps on my skimmer and I finally got tired of constant issues with them and bought a bubble blaster 5000.  What a great skimmer pump, never regretted the expense.
Jeff

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2021, 11:43:34 »
After mostly taking a break for a few years... I'm back.

Since having kids, I've pretty much just had the tank on cruise control. And COVID didnt really help things.

My brother is just starting to get in the hobby, and that has reignited my interest... and opened my wallet. I ended up spending some money during the BRS Black Friday sale and bought some Gyre pumps and some other miscellaneous supplies.

Today I cleaned my Ca Reactor and added media for the first time. I had to look up when I purchased it because I was kind of amazed. I placed the order at BRS on 11/20/18... so I probably got it all up and running sometime in December of 2018. So I have been running it for 3 years without any issues. I got the CO2 tank refilled last spring, but that is it. I typically run it with a pretty high pH... like 7.3 which is why the media and CO2 have lasted so long, but it has made a huge difference when it comes to keeping Ca and Alk levels in check.

Other news... my female Black Darwin Clown passed away last November. I have been able to trace her age back to at least 12. I had her for 9 years, and the previous owner had her for 3, and he is unsure how old she was when he picked her up.

I'll post a tank pic soon once I make sure I've got Tapatalk setup on my phone.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2021, 14:40:33 »
Welcome back, looking forward to the tank pics.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2021, 14:45:18 »
Welcome back, looking forward to the tank pics.
Looks like it?s gonna have to wait until after dark, getting way too much glare from the windows?.

Setting a reminder for later?

Offline Miles

• Adult
Miles' 150gal build
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2021, 16:31:46 »
huh... thats interesting... looks like Tapatalk is having issues and making all punctuation into questions marks....

While I'm waiting to get a good non glared pic of my tank... I figured I'd share my rant I had with my brother earlier about the Icecap Gyres I recently purchased and their Apex integration. Really the issue is that the Coralview Hydros App is not user friendly at all....

to make this work...
3:02
I have to define each pump as a separate output...
3:03
then you create a schedule for that output... the schedule defines the timing and the flow pattern
3:03
you define a mode to run different schedules
3:04
the apex can only trigger modes
image.png
image.png

this is my graph in Apex Fusion...
twice a day... at 4am and 4pm it runs Nutrient Export mode
3:05
the rest of the time it runs Gyre
3:06
the percentage on the left corresponds to a voltage output from the Apex... 0-100% maps to 0-10v in 0.1 v increments
each mode in the Hydros app is mapped to a trigger voltage
so Gyre mode is mapped to 5v and Nutrient Export mode is mapped to 6v

if i trigger feed mode on the Apex, it passes 2v to the pump which puts it in Feeding mode

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 16:51:37 by Miles »

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2021, 17:45:50 »

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2021, 14:10:17 »
I had 2 sicce 2500 pumps on my skimmer and I finally got tired of constant issues with them and bought a bubble blaster 5000.  What a great skimmer pump, never regretted the expense.
Jeff

Just broke down and ordered on of those PSK1000 pumps... found one on sale at saltwateraquarium.com. I then discovered today while starting a deep clean on the skimmer that the pump that I thought was bad actually works. Turns out it needs new bushings, which is a pain because you cant just buy bushings, you have to get the whole impeller assembly for $50, so since I have already ordered a new pump, I'm not sure if I'll go ahead and order a new impeller.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2021, 14:30:00 »
I forgot I had a another thread on this tank, So I'll be moving over to that thread.....
https://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=22012.0