Frag Swap

Author Topic: 92 Gallon Corner Tank  (Read 8377 times)

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
92 Gallon Corner Tank
« on: December 11, 2014, 21:29:29 »
I had a 28 gallon cube for about 7 years. I had always wanted a larger system but with the way my living room is configured it just wasn't feasible. In April, I found a 92 gallon corner tank for sale. I know they are not the optimum layout for flow and display but it fits well in our living room. My wife and I made the trip to Marysville and struck a deal. The sump was plumbed into the basement and worked very well. The system came compete but I had to replace a lot of things such as the Mag 18 that I did not need since it would not be going up 13 feet. The older Berlin Skimmer was running on a Mag 5 that was very noisy. The lights were a 250 MH and a pair of 96 watt PC. Livestock was a 10 year old yellow tang and a 7 year old Hippo tang.
Since I do not have a basement I had to find a refugium that would fit under the oddly shaped stand. I found a used Eshopps 3 which fit perfectly. (Thanks Heath Changing Tides). I am running a Mag 9 which should have been a 7. I have to cut it back a little because the overflow will not handle that much flow. I have replaced the skimmer with an in sump Bubble Magus 5 which is performing well. I just replaced the lighting with two 165 Chinese LED's. So far I am very happy with them. Before I replaced the lights I could not put the lid on the tank and still ran 81-82 degrees. I now know that it has too much LR in the display. This has been a major learning experience. It has been extremely time consuming, but I have enjoyed ALMOST every minute of it.
I want to have a place to post some pics, get some advice and see the progression of my tank.
I definitely need help on placing corals to optimize their health. I think the only thing I have lost so far is an Acan.
Please feel free to give any suggestions.
PICS WILL FOLLOW

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
Re: 92 Gallon Corner Tank
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 22:07:44 »
I have the same tank and encountered the same problem with a sump. I found one that fit, finally.
If you have your LED fixture suspended it'll make it easier to place your corals because you'll get more even light distribution. It also depends on your aquascape. The type of coral will dictate placement too.

I have a lot of live rock. I'm using a 4 bulb T5 with 2 actinic, 1 pink and 1 daylight. For the most part, all of my corals are doing well. All are positioned in the front half of the tank at various levels.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 19:56:02 »
I tried posting pics but I was unable to post it. It advised me to contact administrator.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 23:15:21 »
I think most of us use PhotoBucket. You have to use the web link to the picture from there. It won't let you post directly unless you use Tapatalk, i think.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 20:10:06 »

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 23:26:15 »
That works. But try the img link. That should show the picture in the thread.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 17:04:49 »
I have continued to add a few corals lately. I made some room for addition fish by putting my 8 year old Hippo up for adoption. He now lives in Wapak. Thanks Travis! Everything is doing well except a green leather that I have had since the Urbana frag swap. It was doing well for a week and then closed up and had not reopened. It is now wilting over, I have tried more light and less light as well as flow. My other leather is doing well.
Parameters are
Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.025
KH: 8
Calcium: 410
Phosphates: 0
PH 8
[/URL]

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 17:09:07 »

Offline BuckeyeFan

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 18:55:30 »
Looks good !

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 00:11:02 »
Wow, its looking great!
It looks almost identical to mine, lol
Brent McCloskey

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 10:17:44 »
Looks good Keith... 

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 14:59:03 »
I used the PAR meter yesterday with very interesting results. I understand having a pie shaped tank is not ideal for many reasons. Flow, rock work and most importantly, lighting. I have two LED lights and with yesterdays test I see another one in the future. The light definitely over laps in the middle which gives me decent par on the sand bed in the middle of the tank. I realized that I needed to increase the settings so I did increase them by about 10%. Here are the current reading at my corals and I may need to move some things around but I will watch them closely over the next couple of weeks. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to share.

Hammer-152
Frogspawn-103
Leather-100
Zoanthids-105
Ricordea-83
RBTA-197
Fungia Plate-157
Acan-60
Blasto-155
Leptastrea-155

May need to move the Acan to more light but before the increase in was only 40 par so I want to increase it slowly.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 09:32:42 »
[/URL]

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:25:27 by Keith92 »

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 22:36:53 »
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 22:57:22 by Keith92 »

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 01:34:38 »
Other than the stand and the woodgrain trim, that's what mine is. Its even in a similar corner, lol
Brent McCloskey

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 14:49:14 »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 14:56:35 by Keith92 »

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 19:05:38 »
Everything looks healthy!

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 21:48:10 »
Its been a long time since my last post. I have learned a lot lately but like most educational opportunities it has been costly, time consuming and frustrating. I have had high phosphates between .29 an .45     Nitrates were 75.

I dosed vodka and was able to get the Nitrates under control but the Phosphates are stubborn. I read a lot of info online and talked to several people and did the most common suggestions such as vacuuming sand, extra water changes, less food and adding more flow. In addition I used Clear FX Pro and Pure Marine which did clear the water and help with Nitrates but did nothing for the PO4.

I didn't realize I had a PO4 problem for a while because I didn't have an algae problem. I noticed the glass needed cleaning a little more often but not anything I felt was excessive.

I feel aggravated at myself for some some of the mistakes I have made while going through this so I am hoping this will help someone else in the future. Here we go, I have been reading high TDS for a while (23-35).  One night I tested and read 750,Then I decided to test my tank water. It read --- on the meter.  (yes I panicked) ran to the computer and ordered a new RO/DO unit. Thanks to Brian telling me you can not read TDS in saltwater I was able to cancel the RO/DI unit and get a refund. Just not thinking clearly.

I tested my RO/DI water and found the PO4 at .9     I have been adding PO4 to my tank through top off water and water changes. (MORON) Today I changed the resin in the unit and read 0=TDS and 0= PO4.  Lesson= Test your RO/DI water if you see an increase in PO4 in your tank

As I said I had increased the size and frequency of water changes so I have been using a lot of salt as well as the cost of the other 2 products so I'm guessing $60-$70 which is not a lot of money but it cuts into the money I need to spend on other things to improve my tank. I forgot to mention I lost 3 Acan colonies so thats another $75

Here's another good one for you. Last night I did a major cleaning on the sump and removed the chaeto because I can not get it to grow at all. I moved the skimmer from the return chamber to reduce the micro bubbles in the display and put it where the chaeto was. While rearranging things I moved the heater into the return area and when I turn the pump on the water level dropped and burnt up the heater. You can PM me if you want to know what a burning heater smells like. It still smells under the cabinets. HAHA.

I starting dosing Lanthanum Chloride today. Thank You JJOOS for the sample and information. I will keep everyone posted on the progress. If it is successful it will be a huge savings instead of using GFO over a long period of time.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 11:22:00 »
Since our move in November I have been contemplating what to do for a display tank. I thought I would be putting a 180 in my basement with the fish room behind it. I have wanted a 180 for a while and really the only reason I was excited about having a basement. I now realize that I am not spending time in the basement so a tank down there would be a mistake. I have decided to set up my 92 corner tank again but this time with a basement sump. Here are a few pics of the work that was done last week. Thanks to Gary for all his help. We installed 2 new CB in the box and ran 20 amp outlets and switches. The apex will be on a separate CB in hopes that if the tank trips the breaker the apex will be able to notify me. Also, there is a switch by the pump and also under the stand to control the pump.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 12:28:49 »
Hole drilled in tile

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 12:43:23 »
Looking good Keith.