Frag Swap

Author Topic: Propagating Zoa's and Paly's  (Read 19137 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Propagating Zoa's and Paly's
« on: December 27, 2009, 21:13:19 »
Here is a little tutorial for propagating Zoa's and Palys. Some of the pictures of the actual cuttings did not come out so a little short on pictures in that area. Will update after the next fragging session.

Why propagate, grow and sell your corals?
  • Helps preserve and limit what is harvested from natural reefs.
  • A aquacultured coral is typically hardier and will likely retain there colors unlike wild corals
  • Tank raised corals are less likely to carry pests
  • In some cases you can make a little money to help fund the hobby but don't count on it.
  • It can be very fun and rewarding.

Before starting note that - Zoanthids and Paly's can be toxic. Protecting your mouth, eyes and cuts is a must.

Tools: Before starting gather up all the tools you think you may need. A bit of planning can go a long way. One of the most important things are clean tools. Zoanthids are commonly connected by tissue. It will need to be cut or will rip when breaking the rock. Just like surgery, dirty utensils will cause bacteria infections which can be very difficult to cure. If you think you will frag a lot consider getting a frag kit which contains surgical grade stainless steel tools. They are easy to clean and can be wiped down with alcohol pads before making lacerations.

Some of the basics include:
  • Cup or bowl to hold your coral
  • Towels
  • Sharp Scissors
  • Side or Bone Cutters
  • Substrate to mount the corals
  • Super Glue Gel
  • Scalpels
  • eye protection
  • Latex gloves

Selection: Zoanthids are fairly easy to propagate however, If this is your first time make your selection carefully. Go for one of your less expensive color morphs and perhaps one that is growing on thin or brittle substrate. I chose a rock that had three different zoa's for this fragging session.

Frag Rack Frag racks are pretty easy to build. You can buy a bag of wire ties and a light reflector at any home improvement store. I made a small one to hold the frag plugs during the session that could also fit the tank afterwards.

I like loctite brand super glue gel but any kind will likely work. I also like to put the glue on the plugs or substrate about 5 minutes ahead of time so it starts to thicken a bit.

Next remove the coral from the tank and place it in your cup or specimen container filled with tank water.

Cutting the coral is the tricky part. For zoas, you don't want to remove it from its substrate. Instead cut the substrate and leave the zoanithid attached. Most reef rocks can be cut fairly easy with bone cutters. Sometimes the rock is thick and may require a large tool or even a screwdriver and hammer used like a chisel to break the rock.  (Unfortunately this part is short on pictures.) My rock was thin so it was easy to cut between each zoanthid with the bone cutters. In the picture below there are two zoanthids and the red lines are where I cut between them; making two frags. Commonly after the rock is cut or broke, two zoanthids will still be connected with tissue. In this case some sharp scissors or scalpel can be used to separate. You don't want to pull them apart because it will tear and destroy the coral.

Below you can see the zoanthids attached to its original rock which is glued to the frag plug.

Once you have all of your frags made and back in the tank consider putting them close to the front glass for a couple of weeks where you can easily monitor for a bacteria infection or fungus. I also like to give them a little bit more current than usual.

Happy Fragging!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 21:40:44 by Lazylivin »

Offline HUNGER

Re: Propagating Zoa's and Paly's
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 21:59:17 »
very cool thnax for the info   but how to get ur zoa and paly to multiply good and steady so u can frag
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 22:12:12 »
my suggestion to that would be....   find what light makes it happy, good water movement, and time!!!!   Some zoas grow faster than others. some like higher light than others, and some will look one way in one light and morph into a totally different looking zoa under another light.
Inspired!!!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 22:21:15 »
cool  didnt know if there was a trick lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 22:30:31 »
Great writeup Brian! Thanks!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

JP2006

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 22:40:28 »
What if the zos are already on a frag disk, and cutting it, or breaking the base is not an option.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 00:01:52 »
What if the zos are already on a frag disk, and cutting it, or breaking the base is not an option.

If it is mounted to a plug or rock in your tank that you cant or don't want to remove it makes it pretty tuff.

If you can remove the plug from the tank, nipping the stem off with bone cutters is pretty easy. You will end up with a semi flat disk, then and cut between each zoa. Frag plugs typically cut up pretty easy, at least the sand/cement ones do.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 00:02:31 »
my suggestion to that would be....   find what light makes it happy, good water movement, and time!!!!   Some zoas grow faster than others. some like higher light than others, and some will look one way in one light and morph into a totally different looking zoa under another light.

+1

JP2006

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:23 »
When you say to cut the disk or plug, you mean with a dremmel right?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:43 »
I cut all the rock and plugs with the stainless steel bone cutters that come in the frag kit. The only thing I use a dremel for is Acans and Favias. That is just preference and either will likely work fine.

Offline mcdaniel1989

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 18:48:52 »
Where can you get  bone cutters at? 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 18:55:27 »
If you are going to the frag swap downtown this weekend Dirk will likely have them for sale. Otherwise you can get them at most of the large online aquarium stores like. Pet Soloutions, Marine Depot, Dr Foster Smith etc...

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 19:13:13 »
Very cool! thanks.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 22:42:03 »
Very nice write up and demo Brian!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 23:01:10 »
Thanks  ^-^

Offline deuce

• Deuce
  • Egg
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 17:59:14 »
Thanks gives me some good info to work with

Offline jmiller1611

• Josh
  • Frag Committee
  • Fry
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 14:39:55 »
what is the danger of cutting them from underneath if they're a flat surface?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 22:43:28 »
 THey typically will not hold if glued directly. Being soft tissue that is expanding and contracting throughout the day they will pull away from the glue over time and get swept under a rock.