2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Corals Galore in Fairborn  (Read 7867 times)

Offline Cambino159

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Corals Galore in Fairborn
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:48:59 »
Would love to know how peoples experiences have been. Any pros or cons you have about the place. Really want to get other hobbiest opinions!

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Re: Corals Galore in Fairborn
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:15:38 »
Never been there but they're a vendor in the swap this year.

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:39:37 »
I have bought some sand from them.  They were friendly and even gave me a hand in carrying the bags to my vehicle.  I haven't purchased any livestock as I am still setting up my aquarium.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 16:47:52 »
They are friendly and always ready to help Cody and Brandon helped me with my setup even brought the water to the house for my tank great job .

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 17:57:16 »
I visited this store today for the first time.  I was really impressed with the size of the store, probably one of the larger inventory of fish in the area. Coral selection was quite good.  Not too much in the way of sps yet but alot of lps acans and such.   They told me their food and dry goods are priced as low if not lower then online retailers.  Also a good selection of inverts and cleaner crews.  If you are into fresh water there were even quite a few tanks of fw fish and goldfish for ponds.  The owners have been putting quite a bit of investment into the shop and you can tell.  They also seem very friendly and helpful.   Over all I really liked the store and will be going back.  Everyone should check out the place you wont be disappointed.
Jeff

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 18:14:55 »
yes Jeff they are friendly and knowledgeable to they helped me set up my nano cube good people and they will be at the frag swap too oooorah

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 18:17:27 »
How much are they paying you guys to say this stuff?

j/k I look forward to meeting them at the swap.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 18:28:15 »
zero nothing nada man when you meet them you will know good people

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 22:04:19 »
I just wanted to give a nice shop that invests in this hobby alittle plug.  Every new shop needs our support.  Check them out, I was impressed.  There are not really that many stores in the Dayton area and without our support they wont stay here.
Jeff

Offline Viggen

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 22:25:24 »
Sweet!  Looks like I am going to Fairborn tomorrow..... Almost out of flake food so hopefully they will have what I need so I can support them a little
300g tub o fish

Offline Cambino159

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 22:12:00 »
Nobodies being paid anything, simply put this up to examine people's experiences, and get the hobbiests views on the store, to know what can be worked on and/or added/changed to better out services to the hobby. I understand where Bucks coming from, I've been told the stories from the past, and don't agree with the actions back then. Glad to see a lot of good reviews tho, still would love to get your input on future products to keep in stock/begin to stock. Still working on getting our sps selection increased/established but with future remodels this may take a little bit longer, I apologize.
Thanks for all the input!

Cameron

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 22:20:59 »
Nobodies being paid anything, simply put this up to examine people's experiences, and get the hobbiests views on the store, to know what can be worked on and/or added/changed to better out services to the hobby. I understand where Bucks coming from, I've been told the stories from the past, and don't agree with the actions back then. Glad to see a lot of good reviews tho, still would love to get your input on future products to keep in stock/begin to stock. Still working on getting our sps selection increased/established but with future remodels this may take a little bit longer, I apologize.
Thanks for all the input!

Cameron

It was a joke and I'm not coming from anywhere.

Offline Cambino159

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 22:23:04 »
Alright, wasn't sure, there's been some previous history, but hopin to put all that behind.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 13:34:24 »
Didn't have time to head to their shop earlier this week.... finally had time today.

Drove out there and they were closed :(
300g tub o fish

Offline Cambino159

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 19:24:39 »
We weren't closed today. Door just has a habit of being sticking.

Offline Cambino159

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 19:25:00 »
Sorry :(

Offline Cambino159

• Fry
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 19:27:26 »
Oh wait, just realized the time of this post was 10 hours ago, weren't open yet, can't post times due to forum rules, but hopefully will change after the swap :)

Offline Viggen

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 23:10:43 »
I was there around 1pm.... I thought the store hours on the door stated you were open at that time
300g tub o fish

Offline Cambino159

• Fry
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 01:58:15 »
Yeah we were, like I said the door sticks, if the knob turns, just give it a little push.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 15:59:00 »
Well.... I was out their way and stopped by..... Gave the door a bit of a shove and sure enough they were open :)

I think the shop has a lot of potential due to lots of tanks and space for fish and corals. 

Dry goods prices were quite good, I purchased two containers of flake food which were just shy of 40% cheaper then what Jack's sells them for!  Thus not much different vs buying online

Fish selection was low due to a busy weekend for them!  Great to see a saltwater store BUSY!!!  They have quite a bit of space with their various rack systems which might have similar volume of water vs gerbers..... Not totally sure. 

fwiw the only complaint I have is most tanks had a nice thick layer of protein on the top of the tank due to the tanks not skimming water from the top, I would say over half of their tanks had this problem  Thus I didn't take home a flame hawk that I was interested in :(    Not sure if I just caught it on a bad day or if this is how the tanks normally look..... They did have some pretty cool stuff in though and like I stated I think there is lots of potential.

300g tub o fish

Offline 937 Reefer

• Juvenile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 13:43:21 »
Not happy I talk to a man named Lee on the phone ask him if he had like 5 items I was looking for

Flame angel
Mandarin
Few other things that were not important . Drive from urbana springfield area to only find out they didn't have what I was told was in stock. So waste of gas and time going up. Took 25mins for someone to even help me .People running around with CG shirts just doing nothing . Pretty much just left after being told they didn't have stuff I came for . Thus after standing at the register for 20mins waiting for someone to tell me .I wasted my time . Wont be going back for sure .Rather drive to Columbus to aquarium adventure  .Place does have a lot of space but not much selection vs gerbers . Ill give it another go maybe in the future . I don't like being treated that way or being lied to though . IMO place is well over hyped

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 01:21:36 »
I bought a six line wrasse from them a few years back when they were just getting started. I still have that fat nasty wrasse today...lol. I thought the guys there were super nice. I am with Jeff on this one. It's nice to have several local shops in the area. I plan to get out there again soon. Cam, if you all still want that mix tub let me know.
Chromiumlux

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 15:09:35 »
The problem is they have potential but they do not take care of the place.  You can go in on pretty much any day and find 3 or 4 people standing around while their tanks are so dirty you cant even see in them.  I have maintained quite a few tanks over the years including jacks saltwater some years back.  Its not that hard to have someone go through each tank every day and wipe it down and clean it.  I want to support the store because they are a local lfs but until they clean up their act i will most likely not buy any livestock.

Offline Delerium

• Fry
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 14:16:22 »
I frequent corals galore weekly, sometimes more. I prefer them over gerbers simply because their customer service is better, I would have to say Cameron is always there and has helped me from day one. There is another kid there, not sure what his name is but he is equally experienced and they make a great team! I'm sure I have annoyed them plenty of times ,but they're always willing and ready to help. They also carry stuff to my car which is a hue help when you're lugging 25gallons of buckets around ;) I have a lot of respect for those guys.

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 16:20:14 »
So far all of my experiences have been pleasant

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 16:51:19 »
Yes its a good store they helped me start my tank ,Brandon one of the owners hauled my water from his store to the house and set up my tank i got the sand there to you are right Cameron is smart and Cody is the other guy hes as smart as Cameron keep going there maybe one day we will run into each other .Reef on 

Offline Delerium

• Fry
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 12:32:47 »
Lol yea, if you ever see me there you will know it, I'm a plus sized woman with dimple piercing and one inch plugs in my ears lol. I go with my husband a short fella with facial hair and gauged ears.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 14:46:48 »
i will be on the lookout lol tats and gauges don't bother me see ya there

Offline Metalfreak

• Fry
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 20:52:05 »
I agree, they have a nice shop. Good selection of fish and corals and the prices are good as well.
60 gal. saltwater fish only
72 gal. bowfront reef
75 gal. African Cichlids

Offline KCNano23

• 29 Gal Nano Cube
  • Juvenile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 13:46:41 »
Great experiences with corals galore! I have been there 3 times and every time I get welcomed at the door and are always willing to help. Great selection of fish and corals!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 14:32:41 »
I went in the other day and seems as if every time I go they have more stock.  Now stocking quite a few new tanks.  They have a 300 gallon deep dimension that has my name on it if I had the extra cash.  Trouble with going to a bigger tank is all your equipment is then too small or not enough :) 
Jeff