2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: kellyj's results  (Read 3086 times)

Offline kellyj

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
kellyj's results
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:02:47 »
Looks like I have high tin and aluminum like others.  I also have some iron and copper from somewhere.  I have not used copper as a treatment.
My magnesium level tested 1000 with Red Sea test, Triton results were 1033, so pretty close. 
RO/DI 5 stage from BRS.  TDS = 0. Will the TDS meter pick up any of the metals?
Reef Crystals.
Kalkwasser (Mrs. Wages) for Ca. & Alk.
Centerville city water
Water change-5% weekly
Do not run carbon or GFO.

I plan on switching to BRS two part instead of kalk to raise magnesium level.
I am also planning to start running carbon.  Will this reduce the metals that are too high?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: kellyj's results
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:45:49 »
TDS is a measure of conductivity of the water.....anything in the water will increase the conductivity.

Copper can come from
Any old equipment/rock/tank that had copper in it, it will leach for a long long time
Did you buy a new fish recently, and get any of the shipping water in your system?
What about plumbing....do you have copper piping anywhere near your tank.

I do not believe that carbon will get metals, just keep up on your water changes.   but Al and Li are in the Reef Crystals.   Also note that Magnesium comes from Part 3.   You could stay on KalK and just get some Mag to does.

Offline kellyj

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:14:13 »
Thanks Paul,
No new fish (or water) added.
No copper plumbing near the tank, but do have copper pipes throughout the house.
All equipment purchased new except tank and some of the rock.  Tank and rock were not treated with copper per the seller.  Also two years running. 
  Would they leach copper that long?  What level of copper will harm corals/inverts?
I believe the 2 part BRS is for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.  They should call it 3 part.
Kelly

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 16:18:03 »
Thanks Paul,
No new fish (or water) added.
No copper plumbing near the tank, but do have copper pipes throughout the house.
All equipment purchased new except tank and some of the rock.  Tank and rock were not treated with copper per the seller.  Also two years running. 
  Would they leach copper that long?  What level of copper will harm corals/inverts?
I believe the 2 part BRS is for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.  They should call it 3 part.
Kelly

make your own 2 part, it is super easy.