2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Damn Scratches  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Topekoms

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Damn Scratches
« on: January 06, 2018, 23:58:39 »
So I have a 28g nano that has a ton of scratches in it. I been looking online and got all the stuff they say to use ie: 600, 800, 1000, 2000, 3000 grit sand paper, Novasec 3 etc... here is my issue it doesn't seem like the sandpaper is even doing anything all the tuts say 5-20min for a section these scratches aren't all that deep just enough to feel with a nail. Not even getting a hazing on the tank anyone ever try doing this with one of these JBJ? Advice would be great.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
Re: Damn Scratches
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 13:33:38 »
is the JBJ a glass or acrylic tank?  you'll have a different approach for either type.  I can say for experience, if the scratch is nail deep you are going to need power tools. Hand sanding or polishing will take ages.

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 14:21:48 »
Acrylic and have been using a palm sander

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 14:40:24 »
Yep, thats probably whats going on. 

With acrylic you want to get a bit more aggressive.  Try starting at a 400 grit to get the deep scratches out. Work your way through a few more grits (800/2000) then finish it off with a polishing wheel (think car buffing) and a polishing compound.  There are several that are aquarium specific, but i have had great results with Turtle Wax Renew Rx polishing compound light to medium.  The trick with acrylic is that you are actually looking to "melt" the final layer rather than sand out the scratches as you would with glass.  This is where the polishing wheel and a power tool will be critical.  I picked up buffing wheel in the automotive section of harbor freight.

If you are not already doing so, I'd recommend picking up melamine cleaning erasers for your tank too.  Mr Clean original magic erasers, or save yourself some money and get 100 for $10 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZB2HOQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1564KB351MEZB  This is the best, non-scratching way to clean your acrylic tanks.