2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: anyone have any amphipods willing to trade of sell?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
anyone have any amphipods willing to trade of sell?
« on: September 05, 2018, 22:58:17 »
I am wanting to add some amphipods to my tank to try and get them established as food for my mandarin who is looking really thin and clearly not getting enough food.  I found a place in Florida that sells a mix of amp and copepods but by the time you overnight them it is over $70.  I have tried copepods that I picked up from reeferntraining but for some reason they didnt take off and the copepods are so small they wouldnt be much food for a hungry fish.  Let me know if you have any to spare.
thanks
Jeff

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: anyone have any amphipods willing to trade of sell?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:15:18 »
take your cheato from your fuge and wash it out in the display, you should have a ton there.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 12:28:31 »
Jeff, I would suggest harvesting your pods on your own. That way you have a constant source. It’s really simple and low maintanence. Just feed them a couple times a week with Brian’s pod food and you can continually add them to your system. Eventually you will have tons climbing thru your macro.

You also have clowns and a wrasse and they love pods too, so I can see why you’re not seeing much in the system. Best time to check is after the lights have been out for a couple hours. Check the rick work with a flashlight. I don’t see many in my 75 because I have a lot of fish that eat them but the 40 is loaded with big adult pods in the DT and running throughout my Caulerpa. Those all started from the little specs in my bucket.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 22:16:58 »
I've searched my sump over after lights are out with a flashlight and there is no sign of life.
Jesse I will probably bum another cup of pods from you and start a culture like you and Melanie have going. Just need to get set up to get them going
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 09:59:02 »
I've searched my sump over after lights are out with a flashlight and there is no sign of life.
Jesse I will probably bum another cup of pods from you and start a culture like you and Melanie have going. Just need to get set up to get them going
Jeff
We could probably work something out for one of those SC Orange Passions : )

You just need a bucket with some saltwater at about 1.022. Bring that and I can strain a few scoops of pods out for you. I can also give you a teaspoon or so of the pod food. That will last you about a month until you can get some from Brian. You’ll also need the strainer. I think I spent about $45 getting setup from Brian. I’ve been harvesting them for over a year. I would then turn off all your flow thru your macro and add a scoop of pods. They tend to swim around a bit before attaching to the macro. Just give them some time with no flow and they should establish.