2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How to mount a Ricordea  (Read 4208 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
How to mount a Ricordea
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:21:37 »
You ever mount a Ricordea to a plug or rock and the next day it is gone.  :banghead I have, after loosing a couple at 20$-30$ a pop came up with this method that is working pretty well, so thought I would share. I didn't think to take pictures until after fragging them by laceration so I will get pics of that next time around and add to the thread.

Tools
    - Bridal Netting (Tooling) can get it at any fabric store very cheap
    - Live Rock or Reef Plug
    - Scissors
    - Rubber Band
    - Small pieces of PVC

After a week or two remove the tooling, PVC and rubberband. If the Ricordea foot attached itself to the PVC I have found you can lightly twist the PVC and it will slide off because of the smooth surface.

Here is one I did last week on a rock plug.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:07:43 by Lazylivin »

MechanicalEngineer

Re: How to mount a Ricordea
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:38:18 »
Very nice idea.  My idea wasn't quite so clean, but it worked.  I would just fill a plastic cup full of rubble...throw the mushroom in...and wait for it to attach to the rubble (then glue it onto a rock.)

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:40:12 »
ya nice there man not a bad idea really I'd been the container trick

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:31:39 »
That looks a lot easier and healthier then the "rubber band" method they use up north...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:37:49 »
Wanted to add one more thing.
Some distributors put some small pieces of rock chips (not rubble rock) in a container and drop the mushrooms down in. Over the period of a couple weeks they attach to several pieces. The issue I have experienced is that the rock chips are sometimes very small like a 1/4" x 1/4" and it is not large enough for us to get glue on it to mount to our rock. It also will cause the Ric to not mount well using the method I described above or any method for that matter. Half of it will always be swaying in the current. I think that is why a lot say that Rics like low current because 1/2 the shroom is not attached and it is flapping in the current agitating it and causing it to deflate. My personal experience is that if a proper mounting can be achieved they can thrive in medium to high indirect current. Yuma’s are much less susceptible to this issue because they move across the rock and are constantly getting a better hold also leaving a piece of its foot behind to re-grow a new mushroom. ;D

If you notice your mushroom is not completely attaching check to see if the foot has these rock chips between it and the substrate. If so you are going to have to pull it out. It is a slimey job and hard to hold on to the shroom but removing it you will be much more successful with a strong complete mounting