2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: icp results! not good more questions.  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
icp results! not good more questions.
« on: May 21, 2019, 15:53:24 »
I received my icp analysis today had some rough results. 
chlorine and arsenic are high
strontium is low
iodine is zero!!! 
I have been running large water changes every three weeks 45% since I noticed the colors start to fade on my corals. water changes have not helped9 currently using reef crystals.     

questions:

how in the world could iodine be zero while I am doing water changes? 

is  the elevated chlorine  and arsenic a result of my cheap ro unit. ro buddy w/ di

do you does dose strontium and iodine and if so, do you test for them as well?

Do you use a chlorine remover and test chlorine levels?       

Any insight from you successful reefer would be very helpful

thanks in advance.   

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: icp results! not good more questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 16:16:09 »
Do you have a TDS meter to check on the quality of your filtered water? I used to have one of those RODI buddy systems. They don't seem to last long. BRS 4 stage was a huge upgrade.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 19:58:34 »
If you have chlorine in your tank, I would say the sediment and/or carbon set of the RODI unit are exhausted.

I have no idea where arsenic would be coming from. But that should be filtered out of your rodi as well.

Some salt mixes have higher or lower levels of various components like Iodine, strontium, etc. I would see if you can find any threads on R2R discussing that with reef crystals. Also, anything that molts will use iodine. I don’t know what your shrimp & pod count is, but that may be why? Iodine is not easy to test, but you can. And then dose accordingly. Go slow!  I’ve never tested strontium.

I would never dose something I can’t test for. Except for Aminos.

Offline casper320

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 09:36:15 »
Red Sea colors has 4 bottle solution and one of them is iodine. I would shell out for BRS 6 stage with two carbon blocks and 2 di stages. Heavy metals usually have positive charge and ammonia and chlorine have negative charge. You need a stage to remove each efficiently. Hope this helps.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 12:40:30 »
thanks all ive added iodine for now and the new rodi from brs is on its way for the water change this weekend I hope that these corals colorback up soon.  I have not lost an acro yet and would like to keep it that way.  how long does it take for the colors and growth to start coming back?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
icp results! not good more questions.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 14:33:41 »
Brandon, in this hobby things go bad very quickly and good things happen very slowly. If you’re itching to do a water change without using you RO Buddy water, I suggest going to Meijer or Kroger and buying distilled. It’s less than a $1 a gallon and you can be assured that there is nothing harmful in it. I used it for many months before I bought my 4 stage and I never had a TDS reading of anything but 0. But it has to be distilled. Purified drinking water will have TDS from 50-150.

I also read today that activated carbon bonds with Iodide.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 14:53:32 by Reeferntraining »

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 14:50:43 »
What did your test say about Magnesium?If you are doing large water changes with IORC, it is notoriously low on magnesium which can affect your SPS. So if you are doing large changes you are probably lowering your magnesium levels. What do you test for? Iodine is also reduced by skimming I believe. I normally test for what I dose, but I dose iodine without testing for it, probably not the best policy, but. I dose about 1/3 to 1/2 recommended dosage, just to make sure that I have some in the system for corals and inverts that use it. 

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 19:22:26 »
I have also noticed the more dirty my tank gets the better coloration I get.  It's a trade off with more algae growth though. How's your phos and nitrate levels?
Jeff

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 20:43:18 »
could the giant water changes be starving your corals?

i bet your nitrate is really low or 0 and your corals are losing color because they are hungry.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 15:15:23 »
they were low now that you mention it.   they showed up as 1ppm on nyos kit sens then Ive dosed a couple time to get it up to 5ppm.   New ro is due tuesday and  im hesitant to do a water change with my ro buddy as the chlorine showed up high in the tank.   pho4 is around .02 per hanna checker  if it is a nutrient issue how long befor the colors bounces back?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 08:52:50 »
they were low now that you mention it.   they showed up as 1ppm on nyos kit sens then Ive dosed a couple time to get it up to 5ppm.   New ro is due tuesday and  im hesitant to do a water change with my ro buddy as the chlorine showed up high in the tank.   pho4 is around .02 per hanna checker  if it is a nutrient issue how long befor the colors bounces back?

they brown or white colored? it will depend on a few things on how fast they color up. one being is if the nutrients stay positive another is they wont go color up as fast as you want them to lol.

i have seen personally in my tank everything go to shit in a week and take months to get back on track.