2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hawaii bans fish collection.  (Read 2220 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult

Offline aquavista99

Re: Hawaii bans fish collection.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 19:54:12 »
I am completely fine with the ban and support captive breeding. Over-harvest of marine and reef fish in Hawaii is a big deal, which is also caused by climate change, over fishing and changes in the food chain from top down. I took these pictures 13 years ago in Hawaii, and back then, the locals told me the numbers of yellow tangs were in decline. They still have healthy populations of marine and reef fish, but the numbers seem to decline year after year, which is sad.   

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 20:56:35 »
That second sentence makes absolutely no sense what do ever.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 02:21:49 »
To clarify, the decline of certain Hawaiian fish is in part caused by the aquarium industry over harvesting the fish, but also caused by fishermen overfishing as well and climate change can play a role in the decline of fish populations also. If you remove too many fish, the food chain changes overtime on the reef as well.

Until recently, each commercial aquarium collection permit authorized removal of an unlimited number of fish, and there were no limits on what kinds of fish are taken or how many permits are issued. The battle is still ongoing despite the recent court ruling and don't be surprised if Hawaii places limits on a certain amount of fish to be collected per permit going forward.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:33:17 by aquavista99 »

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:49:15 »
I would assume this would have major implications on the hobby as well, at least until there is a large supply of tank-raised fish to replace the wild-caught. I think it's great to get stories like this because it can explain market changes for the hobby.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 11:57:20 »
Thanks for the clarification. And I apologize if I came across as rude. I just have little patience for people that blantently throw around the political football known as Global Cooling, then global warming and now the ever so general and all encompassing "Climate Change" for any and all things that could even remotely have a connection. I do not believe that's what you were doing after reading your second post.

I am completely in favor of closely monitoring fishing in every aspect due to the impact on the reefs. Slowing or temporarily stopping permitting is the first logical step and I'm happy to see it. Although I hope yellow tangs aren't permanently removed from the market.