2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: SPS coral coloring  (Read 1893 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
SPS coral coloring
« on: November 12, 2019, 20:11:03 »
As I’m learning more and studying my SPS and their placement, I am wondering if some corals color up better under lower light (less PAR-Same spectrum)?

I ask because my Jared’s Mai Tai should be orange, red, yellow but he is completely gun metal grey. He is super healthy with great skin and PE, he just hasn’t changed color since my problems earlier this year. About 4 days ago I moved him from 400 PAR to 280-320 and it appears he’s starting to change color. I’m super curious what other people have witnessed when lowering PAR. SPS only...

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: SPS coral coloring
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 12:33:29 »
You get it figured out and fill us all in!! :)
It is crazy how each coral has its sweet spot. Coloration can be so drastically different from your tank to my tank. So much so you swear it’s not the same coral. Who can see your corals anyways with all this polyps. Ha ha
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 13:00:57 »
I guess that’s what I’m looking for. Testimonials on a coral getting better color after moving it to a different PAR. Is it possible that you don’t always bring out the best color via higher PAR?

Thanks for the PE compliment : )

You get it figured out and fill us all in!! :)
It is crazy how each coral has its sweet spot. Coloration can be so drastically different from your tank to my tank. So much so you swear it’s not the same coral. Who can see your corals anyways with all this polyps. Ha ha
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 14:25:36 »
I have a blue acro that I had up high in my rock work and it started to lighten up in color. I moved it done towards the bottom and the Color has gotten much darker blue. I usually find the color to be washed out when under too much light and can stress it out to the point of loosing it. Don’t ask me how I know that😢
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 14:47:43 »
Yes, that’s what I have noticed too. They usually get “pastel” in high light in my experience (which is limited). But I’m really intrigued with this Mai Tai. It seems the more light I give it, the darker grey he gets. Moved him down and he’s starting to show yellowish highlights. I just never expected that.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 23:11:59 »
I love experimenting with different placement but with my set up it’s hard to move things around. I’ve noticed a tendency of more green in general for my SPS that are in the lower light such as with the PC rainbow and Yellow Tip. Wish I had a bigger variety to experiment with! Or even better, a frag tank.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 08:22:21 »
Great info Brian. So it sounds like green is the predominate color when moving a coral to lower light.

Btw-I’m really surprised you don’t have a Frag tank by now : )
I love experimenting with different placement but with my set up it’s hard to move things around. I’ve noticed a tendency of more green in general for my SPS that are in the lower light such as with the PC rainbow and Yellow Tip. Wish I had a bigger variety to experiment with! Or even better, a frag tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 08:29:01 »
Great info Brian. So it sounds like green is the predominate color when moving a coral to lower light.

Btw-I’m really surprised you don’t have a Frag tank by now : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m currently plumbing in a 12x12 cube next to my display but with the intention of a display refugium (maybe mangrove?). It might turn into a frag tank, we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 22:21:52 »

Brian,  sounds like you just talked yourself into a frag tank - Congrats! You have enough to put in there probably?