2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tank relocation  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Mark Hendricks

• Fry
Tank relocation
« on: November 04, 2018, 15:41:39 »
How would one move a tank from main floor to a basement without loosing any coral or fish.?

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Re: Tank relocation
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 15:53:33 »
Well, that's definitely a lot easier than moving the tank from one house to another, but still the same process.
You'll need plenty of buckets, heaters, small power heads, and salt water pre-made.  Depending on the tank size, plan on a whole day.  That would include draining, clearing out, cleaning, and resetting all rock back up, and getting everything as it was prior to the move.  You can only help lowering any possible stress to the fish, but either way, it's definitely stressful for them.

Just so time is on your side, and you not being rushed, try and have all plumbing routed and ready for the new tanks home.
As long as you have buckets of the existing salt water, heaters, and power heads in place, that should hold them over.  Even use air pumps and stones to add oxygen.

Now would be a good time to redo aquascape, replace sand, and do whatever other items you wanted to do but put off.

Others may chime in on how to lower stress to the fish, but this is everything I have done when I moved from one house to another (30 minutes away).  Make sure you have salt premixed and ready to go once all set up.

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 17:24:03 »
I have 3 30 Rubbermaid totes you can store your stuff for the move

Offline Miles

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Tank relocation
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 22:53:51 »
This is the best time to upgrade your tank. I did this once, moved from my living room to the office. Used it as an excuse to go from a 75 gal to 150gal. Having the second tank set up made it super easy to just move thing from k e tank to the other, it prevents you from stressing everything out twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mark Hendricks

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 06:15:11 »
I’m actually wanting to downsize lol. I have a 93 gallo. Cube I want to put wher the bigger tank is at