2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 130g in-wall tank build  (Read 6123 times)

Offline NeveSSL

• Fry
Re: 130g in-wall tank build
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 12:59:49 »
Make sure you get one with enough head pressure to run this skimmer.  I would try to find out exactly which model it is and match what it came with from the manufacturer.  You may have a hard time finding info, tho.  These were popular about 15 to 20 years ago, but fell off pretty quick around 2006 as needlewheels started taking over.  :)

Brandon

Offline guynamedfleck

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 18:26:23 »
Make sure you get one with enough head pressure to run this skimmer.  I would try to find out exactly which model it is and match what it came with from the manufacturer.  You may have a hard time finding info, tho.  These were popular about 15 to 20 years ago, but fell off pretty quick around 2006 as needlewheels started taking over.  :)

Brandon

Thank you again for the help.  Luck for me to pick up old tech because it looked shiny, lol!  sounds like they are fairly good at the task if not for the extra power consumption.  I'll probably run it for a while when I get up and running. I like the external factor given the tank i modified into the sump.

Managed another bit of work toward the end of the week and got it flooded on Friday evening.  A few more key plumbing pieces arrived too, so got to move into the clean up stage while I wait for the cycle.

Four days in...

Around back we got 2 of 3 lights hung (3rd is currently on the temporary setup), overflow line is plumbed, and the return properly piped.  I added one of the seeded bioblocks from the transfer tank to the first return chamber and added a frag rack to the 3rd chamber.

A close up on the cleanup plumbing work. The emergency overflow now drops into the 3rd chamber and the flexible return line to the pump ties in nicely to the sump through a bulkhead and ridged pipe with a strainer on the end.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 01:04:23 »
looks really great, love the sump. Nice to have it at a working level

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 15:44:50 »
looks really great, love the sump. Nice to have it at a working level

Thank you, yeah, I really liked that part of the design.  No reason to spend my time on the floor under a tank when there is a whole open room behind the wall.  My only slight regret so far is that I used part of my old fish room racks to make the walkway between the DYT and the sump.  This means the bridge is only the depth of a 55g tank.  it is surprising how quickly pipes and pumps, etc, fill up a 1 foot walkway...  I may go back and widen the bridge once I get the fishroom in order.

I have been knocking off little projects while we wait for the cycle.  Got the 3rd light hung today and plumbed in the ATO reservoir.

And a package arrived. I decide that since I started with all dry rock, it would be a good idea to add in the coralline.  I have read good things about ARC Reef and thought i would give it a try.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 22:08:59 »
Dedicated the weekend to the reef build.

With the tank putting in the time to rest and grow into its new life, I spent the weekend focused in the the display side. Hung up the nice veneer over the wall and added the trim board.  I am really happy with how it finishes up the main display.  the whole wall will get a dark stain to match in with the existing trim.  I also had a change of plans on the door to the bar back. Originally it was meant to be a hidden bookcase door, but I decided the man cave was taking a turn for the pub style, so I plan to build in an english phone booth with secret entrance to the back room.  :be happy:  Hopefully we will have a club meeting in the future to share the spoils!

The next addition to the DT is a school of blue reef chromis, so netting was in order. Frames and netting arrived today, so I knocked these together.  The chromis are in QT, so we are ready when they clear there check.

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 11:04:02 »
Looks very nice! Going to tag along and see if I can get some ideas for my fish tank room build  :)
-Slatts

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 13:26:28 »
I must ask how those bottles of coralline are working so far!

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 17:44:06 »
Looks very nice! Going to tag along and see if I can get some ideas for my fish tank room build  :)
Hey thanks! I am watching your build too. Getting a dedicated tank "life support" room is a game changer! Best of luck in your build too.

I spent the last weekend focused on the display side, but have been on the road and unable to update with photos. Hopefully will get a chance tomorrow to update the progress.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 17:47:24 »
I must ask how those bottles of coralline are working so far!
Wish I could say. It's only been a week and a half since I introduced the colonies.  Apparently in 8 weeks you should see spotting on the rocks and then it spreads to coat from there.  Generally a 4 to 6 month process rather than the usual year+ for coraline growth.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 17:59:09 »
Interesting. Just keep me updated for when you see the first signs! If you see it to be pretty widespread when you get dots I’d probably go ahead and buy some. I’ve just setup a new tank and have been considering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 18:04:37 »
Interesting. Just keep me updated for when you see the first signs! If you see it to be pretty widespread when you get dots I’d probably go ahead and buy some. I’ve just setup a new tank and have been considering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do. Apparently the reviews are good. They mix 6 strains in the bottle to ensure one matches your particular tank parameters.  Nice thing with coraline is that the other go dormant, so if the tank changes, another should come to life.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2019, 18:39:59 »
A little bit more progress, mostly behind the scenes. Started moving a few corals over the past few days and consolidated the transfer tank over into the sump.  This kicked off a second diatom bloom, but levels are looking good.

Surprisingly the coralline seems to be taking hold really well.  We are only about 2-3 weeks into adding the bottles and already getting green and purple spotting on the rock work.

Also happy to note that the new rose bubble tip has found its home and is looking good.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 17:51:27 »
Definitely only good thing to say about the bottled coralline algae.  We are at 3.5 weeks since I poured in the bottles. Rock work is a healthy shade of green with patches of red starting to take off.

Bonus, all the inhabitants were out and happy for the photos!

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 17:53:16 »
Looking great. I’ll have to look into ordering some bottles.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2019, 18:52:04 »
Slow and steady on the build out.  after one failed attempt, the skimmer is now installed and running.

I also tossed a bit of chaeto in the second section of the sump.  to encourage it along I built a little led light board out of some black hdpe and led grow lights I had hanging around in the workshop. Nothing too fancy, just a quick box to attach the strips, sized to the bay of the sump, but i think it is a nice clean execution.  I can get some interior photos if any one is interested.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 17:49:18 »
It has been a bit of time since my last update and there is a reason.  With heavy heart I say that I have truly been through the dreaded right of passage for all reef keepers.  A near total system crash. 

Everything seemed to be going great and all were happy. I can home from a two day business trip to find an outbreak of velvet had taken over the aquarium. I jumped to with treatment, but it was too late.  Within two days I lost everything, well almost, a few survivors gave me hope as well as the energy to bounce back and rebuild.

In the time since, I decided to redouble my effort and get back on the horse, as it were, to come back stronger.

The system got a full reset. Pulled out the egg crate base, removed about 4 gallons of sand, reset the rock work, and gave it all a deep cleaning. I also took the opportunity to upgrade the lighting to and ATI SunPower High output T5 set and the skimmer to a Monzter SM201.

The surviving stock is a yellow watchman goby (seriously this guy refuses to die!), a pair of rose bubble tip anemones, and a few various toadstools, leathers, and zoas.

I also took the weekend to correct a design flaw in the sump modification.  the way i mounted the filter socks did not allow for overflow if the socks got clogged (which they managed to do on one long weekend).  I added an acrylic lip around the opening and decided to polish off the look with a nice acrylic cap.  It accomplishes the need and I think really improves the look of the sump too. I will be adding acrylic lids ot the other sections as time allows.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 21:01:22 »
Nice improvement on the sump.
Sorry for the fish losses.

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2019, 23:12:40 »
Sorry to hear, at least you were able to do some cleaning and upgrades! Curious to know your review on the ATI Sunpower once you've had it for awhile.
-Slatts

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 23:17:46 »

Sorry to hear about the fish - tank and sump look really nice! Getting back on that horse isn't all that bad!

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 15:40:47 »
Thank you all for the support. I have high hopes for what comes next.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2019, 22:58:15 »

Guynamefleck

Other question do you still have the 3 smaller 20g tanks for sale? You had them on a post earlier as - clean out time?

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 06:26:28 »
Guynamefleck

Other question do you still have the 3 smaller 20g tanks for sale? You had them on a post earlier as - clean out time?
Afraid those sold. I need to update the sale post.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2019, 17:47:51 »
It has been a slow and steady process, but today with parameters in check, we finally begin to rebuild.  The first new stock has been added to the aquarium.

Additional rock work added. and the new stock:
(x2) Ocellaris clowns
(x1) Yellow Tang
(x1) Sailfin Tang
(x1) Cleaner wrasse
(x1) Melanurus wrasse

and the indestructible yellow watchman is still lord over the tank.  ;D

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2019, 18:48:49 »
What an interesting week!

Big shout out to Reeferntraining.  I caught up with him to pick up the laser, to address a few apistasia growths, and he set me up with a hand full of frags to populate the new display.

Scrambled eggs, fire and ice, WWC Bizzaro Cyphestrea, and some BamBams.

Then turned around and answered a call form a friend, of a friend, of a friend, of a fried to rescue a 75g reef setup.  Now this thing went three years with little more than a water top-off and the occasional feeding. Was filled with all I can describe as an apistasia forest (seriously, they are 3-4" tall and 1-2" heads), but i have now brought in a 3-stripe damsel and a hand full of corals currently sitting in quarantine.  not to mention the tank, lights, and random equipment.

I just couldn't see this guy waste aways in a basement...

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 20:20:32 »
Good score!