Frag Swap

Author Topic: Identification  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Joshua Smith

• Fry
Identification
« on: May 11, 2017, 08:46:08 »
Any idea what these are

Offline Joshua Smith

• Fry
Re: Identification
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:49:42 »
Are these Collonista snails

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 21:44:47 »
Looks like it to me. If they were sundials which are similar they would likely be in your zoa colonies.

Offline Joshua Smith

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 21:49:34 »
Looks like it to me. If they were sundials which are similar they would likely be in your zoa colonies.
I have found one a a zoa frag but all my zoas are doing fine. Had some trouble with a acan but it's bouncing back now.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:13:25 »
If you are finding the same snails at night on your glass and equipment eating surface algae you are fine. If they are only around your zoas than it me be more of a concern and worth some research.

Offline Joshua Smith

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 11:53:32 »
Lights just turned on and these snails are everywhere.  Is there anything g that will eat these guys

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 12:10:58 »
There are things like triggers and puffers but may not be reef safe. A brakish water figure 8 puffer may be okay and likely eat them

Offline Joshua Smith

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 12:11:58 »
There are things like triggers and puffers but may not be reef safe. A brakish water figure 8 puffer may be okay and likely eat them
Seems I'll have more reading to do

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 08:35:24 »
Smaller Niger tigger might work. Melanurus or yelllow coris wrasse pretty reef safe and will go after some smaller snails. Sixline wrasse might also work but they can become absolute demons on allowing new fish after they are established.

You don't happen to have troughus snails in the tank for your clean up crew do you?  Trochus snails will reproduce as will some other beneficial ones.

Offline Joshua Smith

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 08:54:09 »
Seems I'll have more reading to do
I do have a Niger trigger in the tank. So far he doesn't touch them that i have seen. I agree about a sixline I used to have one, beautiful fish but hated anything new.   No troughus snails in the tank.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 11:16:15 »
Wild I found some this morning too when dipping a zoa. I think they're Collonista too. At least I'm hoping that's what they are. I used to have a melanurus in the tank but moved him to the display. Think I'll get a yellow coris wrasse and perhaps another halichoeres.

I have a Timor and red line in a different tank that are pretty chill.  Kellyj has a red line which he likes (gave me the idea). They seem like pretty good hunters too.

I think the white ones in the photo are chitons.

[/URL][/img]

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 11:23:01 »
Sorry here is the photo.  :-[