2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Misc Tank Issues  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
Misc Tank Issues
« on: May 18, 2016, 13:37:19 »
Okay, so I am going to show just how little I know about reef keeping here lol

Anyways, currently I am fighting two battles, one major and one minor. The minor is that I am having some trouble with my CUC, I've lost most of my snails (only remaining snails after this week are 2 Mexican turbos from original tank, a couple ceriths, and 4 tiny nass's) for an unknown reason, and nothing is touching the GHA that just started up. So hopefully I can find something that will take care of the small GHA that I have and keep it out. The two emeralds, scarlet hermit, zebra hermit and skunk shrimp won't even touch the stuff.

Now for the major issue: I am getting a white-ish/brownish slime developing all over the tank, the glass, the back wall, the rocks, in the back/sump area (for those that at April's meeting, I have the same design tank as mtamorrow), and it's even coating some of the corals. From what I have researched, it appears to be a bacteria outbreak.

Here's what I have done so far:
50% (roughly) water change (25-30% planned for this weekend)
Fresh filter pads (changed weekly)
Added Chaeto to one of the "caddy chambers" in the back
Fresh Chemi-pure Elite
Running skimmer 24x7 at smallest bubble size (still not sure if I have "tuned" this Ghost skimmer correctly, but it's producing a dry skimmate)
Mag-float cleaned the glass and blown off corals with pipette daily

I've noticed the slime has calmed down a bit, but it's still pretty thick on the back of the rocks. So the question I have is should I try the Vodka or H2O2 dosing to help correct things? or just keep on course?

Thanks to the whole community for putting up with a noob with a 20g!
Jordan

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Misc Tank Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 14:10:38 »
Last we talked there was something you were adding to the tank. It was a retail packaged product that I had suspect was carbon dosing which can cause the issues you are describing. What was that and are you still using it?

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 14:38:54 »
I think the only products we had talked about was the Chemi-Pure Blue/Elite, the Poly-Filter Pads (http://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Filter_Filter_Pad_Mechanical_Filter_Media-Poly_Bio_Marine-PB1111-FIFMMEPM-vi.html), and the Pure Marine balls http://www.marinedepot.com/evolution-aqua-pure-challenge.html which have been discontinued.

And unfortunately, since the Pure Marine balls are no longer manufactured, I have no idea what product I would try after that. (MFG's website: http://www.evolutionaqua.com/index.html), or maybe re-branded (http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/PURE_Reef_Balance.html). Either way I don't have that product anymore, and can't find it here in the US.

So the only products that are in the tank now are:
Chemi-Pure Elite
Poly-Filter
Ceramic Rings (unknown brand, but haven't touched since I put them in one of the caddies)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 14:44:44 by Grymtooth »

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 14:46:36 »
Are you thinking I should pull out the Chemi-Pure?

Been wondering about my water jugs as well, what would be the best way to clean them out IF I think that they could be harboring some bio-matter in them or something?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 15:20:02 »
That is it. The Pure Marine Balls. They dissolve over time and is a form of bacteria dosing. That can cause the issues you are experiencing. Do you still have any in the tank or recently removed? Based on the things you described, that is the only thing that comes to mind that would cause those problems. A uv sterilizer will correct it if you know anyone that has one yo can borrow.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 14:38:13 »
I was wondering about that too; but I had pulled them out since they were done anyways (had them in there for over two months).

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 08:43:42 »
Well, whatever it was, it's cleared up now. Basically did a couple 40% water changes over two weeks, new pads, and replaced the ChemiPure and it's pretty much gone now.

Jordan