2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Need an ID  (Read 2415 times)

Offline kellyj

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Need an ID
« on: July 26, 2016, 19:26:50 »
I have three fish showing different signs of fin problems.  (pictures included) 
The yellow tang is also darting around like he's trying to shake something off him. 
All are acting normally, eating, swimming and not being picked on as far as I have seen. 
Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?  They are in two different tanks and water parameters are good.
Thanks for any help,
Kelly

Offline delta1190

• Adult
Re: Need an ID
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 20:02:28 »
You may mot see it but looks to me the novice i am is that they are being picked on by something.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 21:55:15 »
Is that a red infectious looking spot on the six line? The others look like bite marks, the yellow tang's fin looks like it is even starting to get some new growth.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 23:28:17 »
Always seems hard to know for sure. Basic speculation based on some limited experience in order of likelihood (more votes would help).

If that's a red spot on the six line I'd guess Lymphocystis (would be viral wait it out). I've had fish fully recover with those bumps. Typically haven't had frazzled fins though.

Either nipping or fin rot on the other 2 (but it doesn't seem like it'd be on the dorsal if it's nipping).  Flukes in the realm of possibility.   I believe praziquantel is reef safe and a quick fix if you suspect flukes.  If you have tube worms they wouldn't make it and you would lose some worms/fauna. Fresh water dip would reveal them. Even just a minute or 2. I guess this could explain the tang's erratic behavior.  Might be worth a dip.

Assume that's a red line wrasse transitioning male--  looks a little washed out.  If that's just the picture and no flukes, I'd guess bacterial. I'd use mixture metro and kana plex bound to food with seachem focus.  Reef safe in this configuration.

If you pull the fish to a hospital tank you could also add Furan 2.

Also if the wrasse was really old (4-5 years for a redline) seems like they start to get frazzled.

If he is washed out and young, you might have fish TB.  They can live quite a while with it and it's incurable in a practical sense. Encouraging that they're eating.  It's kind of weird you're getting it all at once, and the bacterial stuff doesn't usually jump fish too easily it doesn't seem. That's why I'm wondering if it's flukes even though the presentation is atypical.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:15:46 »
Which fish are housed in the same tank?
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 13:12:06 »
Kenn,
The tang and red line are in my display tank.  The six-line is in my frag tank.
Kelly

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 21:24:39 »
But they aren't on the same sump correct?

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 21:29:45 »
No, they are separate systems.