2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Back to the Reef  (Read 6308 times)

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
Back to the Reef
« on: August 30, 2016, 20:39:49 »
Starting this topic in the right area this time.  Started a new tank at the beginning of June, 28 gallon nano cube, and it appears to coming along well.  Recently we had a small bloom of green slime algae, and so let my daughter pick out a pincushion sea urchin "Fred".  We've had him for four days now, and have found that he likes to wear cerith snail hats, and he is cracking the kids up.

So far other than "Fred", the urchin, we have "Speedy", a rose bubble tip sea anemone, ten cerith snails, and 10 margarita snails, and one emerald crab, who's name is alluding me.  We have a cabbage leather and some zoas.  We have attempted to have clown fish, but after losing more than I would like to admit to, seven, we have called it quits at least temporarily.  We also had a couple majano's, but had to put them down when we discovered they were pests that would take over the tank.  Hopefully they are gone for good.

Other than clown fish the tank seams fine, and looking forward to seeing it develop.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Back to the Reef
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 20:51:56 »
Great post!
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 10:36:24 »
Woke up this morning to see that Fred's hat fetish has gotten completely out of control.  The only good thing is at least this time he's not keeping any of his hats from keeping the tank clean. 

So far everything is going well did have an issue with Speedy, the sea anemone, I think that something bumped into his or something, as he hid most of the day yesterday.  Seems alright today though.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 22:30:26 »
interesting... lol
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 19:29:30 »
Does anyone know why urchins carry items around?  Is it for camouflage?  I looked at some sites online, but didn't find a satisfactory answer.  Thanks for any information in advance.

Offline jfishwild

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 20:09:32 »
Does anyone know why urchins carry items around?  Is it for camouflage?  I looked at some sites online, but didn't find a satisfactory answer.  Thanks for any information in advance.

To piss us off lol
We don't know how strong we are until being strong is the only choice we have.

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 20:34:53 »
Probably, he's been carrying around a piece of my zoa and a broken shell for three or more days now.  Definitely the goofiest thing in the tank to date.

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 21:28:23 »
I found this in my sand bed yesterday and need to know if it is something I should leave alone or vacuum it up.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 22:03:30 »
IMO leave that wonderful creature alone. Just another part of the great ecosystem you're trying to get established

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 05:20:30 »
That is great news.  I'm glad it's not something like the majano anemones. 

I was also wondering do I need to add some kind of food to the water for the zoas and the cabbage leather?  I do a water change every week to two weeks, and I feed the sea anemone once a week, but I wasn't sure if they would need an additional food. 

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 00:25:07 »
Just added three new corals to the tank.  Kids helped me pick them out at the Frag Swap over the weekend.  They're looking pretty nice so far. 

Acan

Zoa, was really pink in the center at the swap, but is showing a really faded pink almost white at home.  Though it does get more pink when the night light comes on.

For the life of me I can't remember what this one was.  When I got it, it was around three inches in length, sadly it got broken during removal from the bag.  On the bright side, it now appears that we have two, and both seem to be doing well.

Couldn't resist posting our newish Pompom crab.  Had a question on these little guys.  Does anyone know how big there little anemones will get?  We've had him for about three weeks now and it seems to have more than doubled in size.  Can they get to big for the little fellow to carry?  If so what does it do with them?

One more question, other than calcium should I be feeding the corals anything else?  I am currently not really feeding anything, with the exception of the RBTA which I fee weekly.

As always thanks for any information.

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 22:34:13 »
I recently began finding these weird little snail things in my tank.  Anyone have any idea what they may be?  Are they trouble makers?  I haven't seen them eating anything, but I've only seen a couple of them so far.  They are roughly a quarter inch long, at least so far.

Random crab photo.  ^-^

Thanks for any info.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 01:53:44 »
I believe those are a type of limpet. I have them and other than occasionally getting stuck in my skimmer impeller, no issues, they are harmless.

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 10:09:00 »
Agree, a limpet, I have a few that came as LR hitch hikers.  Free and hardy clean up crew members!

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 11:47:26 »
Glad to hear they are harmless.  I hadn't seen them eating anything, but I thought the Majano anemones looked harmless to.  Definitely a learning experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 11:07:24 »

Am I harmful?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 01:24:08 »
Looks like it could be a zoa or monti eating nudibranch

Offline jbanion

• Fry
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 13:36:49 »
shoot that with a shotgun ASAP!  :not speak:

Offline growingreefer

• Fry
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 19:35:15 »
Crazy looking creatures!

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 13:41:00 »

Been a while since I posted on here last.  Recently changed up the rock work and moved the tank to a new home.  Not much has changed with the tank all and all.  It was been running for over a year and a half, and most of the rock work has colored up pretty nicely.  Sadly most of the corals that were added to the tank were lost, with the exception of the leather coral and a small purple mushroom. We have recently replaced the lighting in the system with LEDs and they appear to be much brighter than what we were running with.  So we plan on making another go at it with the coral.  Hoping to pick up something nice and beginner level this weekend.  So far with the new light I have noticed some great improvement in color, and improved polyp extension on the leather. 

Happy reefing all!