2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 28173 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Salt
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 12:29:55 »
Seachem 4 life  >:D I get mine from marine solutions, and they always have a good price on the buckets.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 15:25:12 »
Thanks for posting that Kenn! Now I don't have to go on endless searches for it locally.

Glad to help... got to keep business going out to Coral Ranch :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 11:06:42 »
Anyone ever dared to buy aquatic adventures brand of salt?  I got a bucket  :party0040: of it for free, but when it didn't even have an ingredients list I couldn't bring myself to use it....oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be a Google answer for this one.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 19:14:47 »
i use IO didnt know that there were that many different kinds of salts out there to choose from. this is so crazy i do a little bit of research on something then something pops up is there ever a time to were u catch up. also is the salt just a personal preference. and is there salt that is better for FOWLR and REEF?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 19:21:16 »
Salt blends are different... most marine salts don't have the concentration of minerals and nutrients that a reef blend would have... And most salt blends have the same minerals and nutrients in them, just different mfgs put different amounts from each other.... some mix better than others, in my experience... Some have higher PH spikes during mixing etc... it's all trial an error man... What works for you may not work for others... IO is good I used it and reef crystals for awhile... if it works, use it... When you start growing specific things you may want to look at the numbers, till then invest your time in researching/studying other things(IMO).

And I don't believe there is every really time to catch up on anything in this hobby, and no matter how hard you study and how perfect you are doing something, it can all go south in a heartbeat in this hobby.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 20:24:01 »
, and no matter how hard you study and how perfect you are doing something, it can all go south in a heartbeat in this hobby.
+10000000000
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 20:24:49 »
yeah i have found that out real quick.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 08:57:59 »
Bump for our new members, what kinda salt are you using?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 09:18:20 »
For those using RSCP are you cutting it with another salt?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 09:18:59 »
nope
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 09:20:34 »
I am running it straight but am in the process of switching to Bright well. I like the fact that I can run up the road 10 minutes away and pick it up local. UDJustin has been bugging me to try it as well. He has been running it for aver a year now and likes it.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 09:23:30 »
I am running it straight but am in the process of switching to Bright well. I like the fact that I can run up the road 10 minutes away and pick it up local. UDJustin has been bugging me to try it as well. He has been running it for aver a year now and likes it.
been thinking about doing the same
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 09:32:05 »
I used some brightwell dosing and other chemical products and they were great, very good quality, never tried the salt though.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 10:18:27 »
the salt has a very odd smell to it. also gets warm when mixing it so if you get some on ya get it off quick it tends to burn a little.lol

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 10:27:56 »
Interesting... wonder what's in it that causes that reaction.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 10:30:24 »
Not sure but it has some flakes in it that I was told were flakes of magnesium.So far I have mixed up about 30g and it mixes clean. I let it sit 24hrs before adding it and it looks crystal clear.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 10:41:05 »
Awesome, keep us posted on how it does on the long haul, my biggest peeve about some of the salts is their inability to mix, and the residual they leave after I am done mixing, seems like I am just throwing money away.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 10:44:33 »
I am going to finish using the water in my mixing container now and drain it completely and see what it looks like. I will let you know. I know the bag says 1/2 cup of salt per gallon to mix 1.025 and its pretty much dead on. Some salts say the bucket will make 175g but what they dont say is thats 175g at 1.018.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 10:51:56 »
the salt has a very odd smell to it. also gets warm when mixing it so if you get some on ya get it off quick it tends to burn a little.lol
Interesting... wonder what's in it that causes that reaction.

Ever use Kent Turbo Calcium?   That stuff gets down right hot when you mix it in water.   I would suspect that Bright well is using something similar for concentrated Calcium addition in their salt.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 10:52:47 »
This is very true... that is nice that the 1/2 cup brings you right at 1.025... RC always put me below this mark so I had to add more... Nor sure if it was because it didn't all mix into the water as effiecently or that their salt volulme is less than this.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 10:58:53 »
Ever use Kent Turbo Calcium?   That stuff gets down right hot when you mix it in water.   I would suspect that Bright well is using something similar for concentrated Calcium addition in their salt.

We should find out what is causing this reaction... unless I stand correct, both mag and calcium can produce this same reaction, but as a by product hydrogen gas is produced... if this is the case, I wonder if it(hydrogen gas) can build up in sealed or somewhat sealed mixing barrel or drum or any storage container that is.

Could have a bad effect if it does and something were to ignite the build up of hydrogen

The calcium would be more of a concern than mag, but they both would still pose a threat... The calcium will make hydrogen in room temp water... mag will aswell, but tends to form hydroxide and stops the released of hydrogen... it usually takes steam or hotter water to make hydrogen with mag....

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 11:45:23 »
Pure anhydrous calcium chloride. Mixing it with water (either RO or tank water) is exothermic. (That's why it's also the main ingredient in driveway de-icers). If you mix it with RO, you get a bit of hydrochloric acid and Calcium Oxide.

CaCl2 + H2O --> CaO + 2HCl

If you put it directly in your tank, you get a double displacement reaction in conjunction with alkalinity in the water

CaCl2 + 2 NaHCO3 --> CaCO3 + 2 NaCl + H+

Then..

H+ (ions) + NaHCO3 --> CO2 + H2O + Na+

And the sodium ions react to one of many things (magnesium, calcium, water). You *could* get some hydrogen gas, but it'd be miniscule,

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 14:31:43 »
I built some hydrogen generators a while back, you have to produce a good amount for it to be of any harm and if there is the slightest leak area in your tank, it will go through it. Its really light and usually floats away faster than you would have to worry about it combusting with how little would be produced from any normal chemical reaction produced by your water.

But yes, if it got stored, and concentrated, i would worry a bit, but it's prob a billion to 1 chance of that ever happening unless it was intentional.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 15:29:32 »
Ye a it takes a pretty direct spark I think. At least the ones we built did but then again we were building them to shoot off like a rocket, wow good old days. lol

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2011, 17:49:25 »
ha ha ha, i bet that was fun