2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lighting question  (Read 1918 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Lighting question
« on: May 25, 2018, 16:20:43 »
After several months of good coral growth it appears my SPS death problem has returned. In the picture you can see the new growth of the Bali Tri Color losing its tissue. Has anyone seen this happen due to LOW lighting??

All of my parameters have been insanely stable for over 6 months. Some corals have this happening and some don’t.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
Re: Lighting question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 16:22:03 »
After several months of good coral growth it appears my SPS death problem has returned. In the picture you can see the new growth of the Bali Tri Color losing its tissue. Has anyone seen this happen due to LOW lighting??

All of my parameters have been insanely stable for over 6 months. Some corals have this happening and some don’t.

Sorry, forgot the picture

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 23:52:27 »
that looks like tip burn to me.  I believe one cause can be from higher alk levels.
Jeff

Offline Crimsonvice

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 06:45:01 »
I second that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:22:23 »
My alk has not deviated more than .4 for months. It’s currently 9.2. I’ve had this Tri color for 4 months and this just started last week. All of the nubs you see on the frag are new growth.

My question is. Can too low lighting cause this?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 22:33:09 »
In my experience low lighting will either cause a coral to loose color or change color from what it should be.  Many corals will turn more green with lower light.  It still looks like tip burn to me.  I would do a search and read the possible causes.
Jeff