2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: anyone deal with and heal popeye?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
anyone deal with and heal popeye?
« on: June 09, 2019, 09:07:22 »
I picked up a new moorish idol on friday.  I have him and others in a qt tank running hypo as my qt method.  I noticed yesterday that it has an abrasion on its rt side and it eye is popped out quite a bit on the left.  Looks like his rt eye is also extended but not near as much as the left.  I did a fresh water dip on him last night for 3 minutes last night but did not see any evidence of flukes.  Is there anything more that I can do for it?  I read last night to treat with antibiotics.  Will antibiotics be ok for use while in hypo or should I just let nature take it course.  The fish was eating pretty good last night for being a newly arrived moorish idol.
thanks for any advise
Jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: anyone deal with and heal popeye?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 09:43:54 »
My yellow tang’s eye had been injured and looked like pop eye recently. Not sure what caused it. I felt really bad and thought I might end up with a one eyed tang. About a month later, it healed and went back to normal. Slight scarring but overall impressive recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 13:44:25 »
For fresh water dip most suggest 5 min. and the posts I have seen say flukes came off around the 4 min. mark. You can use Epsom salts at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon. You might consider antibiotics too. Those fish are just like butterflies, lots of infection possibilities. How about a picture of the jewel?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 14:02:56 »
While performing the dip the fish seemed so stressed I pulled it out at 3 min.  Im not sure it is flukes since the eyes are not cloudy.  If flukes I would hope the hypo would help.  Would the epson help with both eyes being affected?  I am treating 8 fish in my 40 gallon qt tank and am worried that if I treat with antibiotics I would wipe out my biofilter and put all the fish at risk.  I hate just sitting by without not doing something.  How long would a treatment of antibiotics last?  Im thinking I could remove my biofilters to my main tank and run the antibiotics while watching for ammonia. Any suggestions.
Jeff

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 14:58:14 »
Jeff, it’s more stressful to us then to them. Anything I suggest is something I have learned by reading on another site. Will pm you. You are right about the bio filter. I watch amonia and add biospira or something like it once in a while. I also keep extra sponges in my sump to change out once in a while. I use amonia alert badges since I use copper.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 15:08:19 »
Here it is. I’m debating about putting it into a section of a sump that I’m not using and treating it there with furan11 that I have. Might be about 10-15 gallons of water. I bought multiple idols and one isn’t eating and breathing very rapidly, thought about putting both of them in the furan water. The Popeye fish is eating amazing for just getting them on Friday.
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 15:09:34 »
Pics

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 15:13:04 »
He is a little bug eyed. Pretty fish though. Hope you can get it straightened out.
Jim

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 23:05:22 »
Took a better picture tonight when I got home.  I dont feel this is actually popeye.  It looks like air somehow got trapped inside the fish and formed the bubble at the top of each eye. Ive been wondering if maybe it was caused by the flight from California to Ohio.  Within several hours after I took the picture the bubbles were about half the size.  I was watching the fish for a bit tonight and actually saw a bubble of air come off the fish and float to the surface.  Really strange
Jeff

Offline VikingCoral

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 23:21:32 »

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 07:14:22 »
It sure does Dustin. I removed one of my air stones from the tank and lowered the heaters setting. Fish is eating brine and mysis so far so for me that is a huge step forward for keeping one of these beauties.
Thanks
Jeff