2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Cutting glass for overflow  (Read 3220 times)

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
Cutting glass for overflow
« on: January 08, 2014, 15:36:58 »
I have to cut 2 holes in my 40b for the overflow and I'm very nervous about doing it.  I have the drill bit and am going to practice on a spare 5 g I have.  Any tips for a smooth cut?  Also any tips so i wont crack the glass?

I suppose if I do crack it I can get a new 40b in the petco sale but I'd still rather not do that.  I was you g to take it to a glass store and have them cut it but have convinced my dad to help me give it a go myself. 

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Cutting glass for overflow
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 16:44:06 »
Just let the drill do the work and keep it wet. You can use plumbers putty and make a large doughnut shape to hold the water around the cut. Helps a lot.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 17:01:22 »
On these thin tanks, I like to put duct tape on the back side and then also clamp a wood board behind.  That way when you get almost all of the way through it limits how much the glass splinters.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 17:13:30 »
Thanks.  Great tips.  I'm going to try cutting the glass on the 5 g tomorrow, hopefully I won't run into issues.

Offline delta1190

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 17:18:59 »
Good luck Vicky just take your time I will be ok remember keep the drill bit strait moving from side to side can cause pressure on the glass keep us posted

Offline Marine_freak

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 23:17:09 »
Can you cut tempered glass? Won't it shatter? I thought it had to be plate glass to drill it?
A Indonesian fisherman once stated if we blow up the coral reef we have no future...... But if we do not we no way to feed my family now...... How sad the circumstances are today that ruin the opportunity of the future!

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 06:49:01 »
Ill keep the thread updated with my practice cuts.  I'm cutting the side of the tank not the bottom, it should be easier.  I doubt I could cut the bottom.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 08:47:36 »
Can you cut tempered glass? Won't it shatter? I thought it had to be plate glass to drill it?

That is correct. You can not drill tempered glass. However, a tank that small most likely does not have tempered glass. The 40B maybe might have a tempered bottom.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 15:43:44 »
I just bought a 40b from petco and it has a tempered bottom has orange sticker on bottom that says so.

Offline Marine_freak

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 23:04:12 »
Yeah have a friend who wants to drill a 90 gallon....... I told him to check the glass to see if tempered.
A Indonesian fisherman once stated if we blow up the coral reef we have no future...... But if we do not we no way to feed my family now...... How sad the circumstances are today that ruin the opportunity of the future!

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 13:03:00 »
Success.  The 5 g was successfully drilled this morning, we used all of the tips given here so thanks guys!  We have a pillar drill at work so it made it easier to keep the drilling steady and straight. Now drilling the 40 will be a bit more difficult but at least I feel more confident about it. 

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 13:20:02 »
Sweet. Actually the 40 should be a bit thick, so that will make it a bit easier. Just do what you did there and you will be fine.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 14:48:37 »
Great, glad to hear it being thicker will make it easier.  We have to rig some way of holding the tank up off the floor but i'm sure we'll come up with something.  Oh and i have to remember to wear ear plugs next time, glass makes an awful noise when it's being cut.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 15:03:05 »
More success!  2 holes cut without any issues.  The only real problem we ran into was finding something the right size to stand the tank on.

Unfortunately due to the post on our drill i couldn't get the holes any further down the tank, i think it should still work the way i want it to since there will be enough of a gap between the stand pipe and the emergency pipe.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 15:22:52 »
Very nice job. The tank looks to be coming along great!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 15:23:54 »
Looking good. One step closer to water!  8)

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 15:26:12 »
Very nice job. The tank looks to be coming along great!

Thanks! and thanks again for the frags, they looked happy in my tank when i left them after lunch.

Looking good. One step closer to water!  8)

Thanks!  Yes, i can't wait.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 15:28:14 »
Thank you for the starfish

Offline ibanezgfx

• Egg
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 22:32:30 »
What kind of overflow is that?  I've seen and might use a glass-hole overflow for my 75, but this one looks pretty nice.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 22:43:17 »
It's a custom job.  I made it out of a plastic called northplex that I use at work.

It was pretty easy to make and works great, plus it was much cheaper than a glassholes one.