2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Toadstool  (Read 4098 times)

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
Toadstool
« on: June 04, 2014, 15:09:02 »
So I have a toadstool someone gave me when I bought some stuff off them, and it has grown nicely, and it's neat to look at. I've heard you can split them and they will grow into 2. Is this very risky? Worth attempting?

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Re: Toadstool
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 17:17:26 »
Just use scissors to cut a piece off, then stick a toothpick thru it and rubber band it to a rock.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline JayMc

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 20:29:12 »
toadstools may be the easiest coral to frag.  like said above just snip some off and stick it on a rock!

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:08:49 »
IMO, softies are one of the most difficult to frag because getting them attached to a plug or rock can be difficult.  Most of them produce a mucus coat so you can't just glue them directly.  I like to glue a plastic toothpick into a hole in a rock, then skewer the soft coral, then cap the skewer with a bead of superglue gel to keep in from slipping off.  After time the coral will grow to attach to the rock, as well as encapsulate the toothpick.

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 10:37:52 »

This looks like the toadstool I have. So I just clip a piece off the cap and secure it to a rock (not with glue) and it will grow a new stalk?

Offline JayMc

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:15:03 »
Yup

When I frag mine I usually throw a bunch of pieces of rock in a shallow container they toss the "snippings" on top.  Set container on the sand bed and revisit in a couple weeks.   

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 11:29:52 »
I've never fragged or even considered it before, so I don't have all the neat toys lol. I do have rubber bands, scissors, and small live rock though lol.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 07:54:33 »
Be careful with the rubber bands.  Too tight and you just slowly cut the piece in half.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 18:49:08 »
I like to just place the frags in a cup of rubble rock in a low flow area and let the frags attach themselves, then glue them to a plug. Also I like to take some light fishing line, thread a sewing needle and run it through the frag. Cut off enough line that you can tie a knot and tie it to a piece of rock. When the frag attaches just snip the line and pull it out.