2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Help!!  (Read 2028 times)

Offline dvdrgs

• Fry
Help!!
« on: November 05, 2014, 14:09:03 »

Something is going on and I need help. I the coral in the center had a white mark this morning and I saw the peppermint shrimp hovering around it later.  The only other thing I have noticed is a worm that extends these long thin tentacle like things it is in the rock it is sitting on until I can mount it. 

Other inhabitants are small reef safe hermit crabs and a few Asteria snails. 

Thanks for help.  I am moving it in the meantime which is a bummer it just started looking like it did when I bought it last week. 

The tank is a 7 gal Pico. 25 percent water change ever 2 weeks.  I also just had a HA bloom!   Other corals look great and are growing.   

Thanks for any help or advice. 

David.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phosterprice

• Fry
Re: Help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 14:53:38 »
peppermint shrimp are known to go after zoas, a flowerpot isnt too far off.  if i had to guess your shrimp is eating it.  i would keep an eye on him. if you catch him, you are going to have to get it out of there.

Offline dvdrgs

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 16:46:18 »
Darn thing!!!!  Thanks. 

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 17:28:46 »
Looks like something stung it. I had peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp in my tank with this coral and never had a problem with shrimp bothering corals. Crabs and worms should be checked also.
Chromiumlux

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 18:01:26 »
I have seen peppermints eat corals, also had a large white worm (about 12 inches) that loved xenia. Can't remember what kind of worm it was. If the coral was stung or had a dead spot it is more likely that is what the peppermint was eating.

Offline phosterprice

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 18:04:44 »
mine peppermint hasn't bothered anything i don't think, but lets face it if they eat aptasia coral isn't a big reach. i would say they are like many things, some are good reef dwellers and some aren't.

Offline dvdrgs

• Fry
Help!!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 21:46:18 »
He's gone tomorrow!!!  Joe's doing me a huge favor and coming to eradicate him tomorrow. I got called out of town.

Thanks again Joe!!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 21:59:11 by dvdrgs »

Offline dvdrgs

• Fry
Help!!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 21:54:17 »
How long does it take for a sting to show up?   That was my first thought.  It was starting to color up nice.   Then the big white spot. 

I did see it picking at it.   I almost got him with my tongs he wouldn't get off it then it was gone! 

Andy what it's name?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 22:06:48 by dvdrgs »

Offline phosterprice

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 22:02:07 »
an even bigger fear for me is that goni is notorious for being fine one minute and gone the next. I had a cowrie get ours. I took it out right away, but once damaged the coral never recovered. It just slid downhill until it was gone.  I hope you have better luck than I did. just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully it comes back. I wasn't that lucky.

Offline dvdrgs

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 12:23:51 »
The spot is healing nicely but the crazy hair algae Is taking off.  .