2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Conventional sump vs Rubbermaid stock tank?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Mussin

• Adult
Conventional sump vs Rubbermaid stock tank?
« on: December 04, 2019, 16:03:11 »
Setting up my 180 and I have two choices for a sump. I have a 150g rubbermaid stock tank and an old school 150g tank with baffles. All of my plumbing and sump will be going In my basement.  What are the pros and cons?  Thanks

Offline JSellars

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Conventional sump vs Rubbermaid stock tank?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 19:01:23 »
Don’t take my advice for it, but I would assume using the old aquarium would be better for creating different chambers with baffles and keeping everything separated. Little more difficult to do that with the Rubbermaid stock tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 21:32:44 »
I would want the multiple chambers to help consistent water level in the skimmer area. You could use the rubbermaid with if you have an apex and the skimmer shuts off when return pump is off. You will want to program it to delay coming back on for a few minutes to allow the water level to stabilize

Offline Daytonsalt83

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 21:37:04 »
I’d use both use the Rubbermaid for a giant refugium before the sump

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 22:07:41 »
I run a stock tank sump Jeremy. It’s 100 gallon and full of live rock. It’s difficukt to use filter socks but not impossible.  I run an external skimmer so that’s not an issue but when I ran an internal it was an issue. If I was able to I would have used starboard or pvc board to create some dividers for ease of using socks, skimmer and anything else it might make more convenient to use. The idea to use both is a great one if you have the room. Best of both worlds.
Jim