2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Looking for QT supplies.  (Read 2288 times)

Offline AJ

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
Looking for QT supplies.
« on: February 12, 2014, 20:47:48 »
We just bought a 50 gal tank from a member here on the forums to use as a QT.  Now we are in need of some accessories.  We are looking for a heater, filter, copper to treat ich, etc...  If anyone has these things please post on here.  Thanks.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Looking for QT supplies.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 20:53:07 »
We just bought a 50 gal tank from a member here on the forums to use as a QT.  Now we are in need of some accessories.  We are looking for a heater, filter, copper to treat ich, etc...  If anyone has these things please post on here.  Thanks.

I have some copper safe. Never used. $10. Honestly, I prefer hypo treatment.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 21:34:57 »
Lol..... I prefer coppersafe over hypo :)

The stuff is $20-25 new..... If you are going the copper route is would snag his stuff

I would get this setup and running within the next few days before the ich gets really bad

300g tub o fish

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:59:19 »
I prefer hypo. Anything to not introduce chemicals to the fish. Is my preferred method.

Another piece of equip that makes hypo a lot simpler an easier is an auto top off. Especially in a small tank were evap can really give your salinity a swing up n down. When the salinity is low during initial treatment . You need to hold it right at 1.009.

Offline AJ

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:21:27 »
Thanks for responding. We, at first, thought to do hypo but have now decided to go with the copper. Can you do both? I do understand why you all and many others say to do hypo due to it being safer for fish, but wouldn't the copper attack the ich harder?

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:58 »
The ick cannot survive the lower salinity levels so everytime it tries to cycle and reproduce in the water column it will die, hypo I prefer because using chemicals is something I really try to avoid.
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:23 »
No matter which way you go hypo or copper. Your tank will need to remain fish less for 8-10 weeks.