2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Help! Confusion about Cupramine and Filtration  (Read 1772 times)

Offline AJ

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
Help! Confusion about Cupramine and Filtration
« on: March 01, 2014, 11:40:22 »
We are using Cupramine to treat ich in our QT.  Our Yellow Tang seems to be acting strange.  What sort of filtration is ok to use while dosing with Cupramine?  We currently have an Emperor 400 running with just foam pads to trap feces and food.  Could we add our bio-wheels back?  What about adding some Matrix?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Help! Confusion about Cupramine and Filtration
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:33:24 »
If it is all new it will have to cycle itself first. Occasionally folks setup a qt and loose the fish due to ammonia. I would recommend using cycled filter media such as live rock or other media. You may still have a cycle but it will be days opposed to month. Then once tank is ready add fish.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 14:00:01 »
Like stated if its a new setup keeping ammonia low can be the biggest trouble people have

This last summer I setup a completely new qt setup for a dozen or so fish I ordered including my 10-12in queen angel.  I used one of the bacteria in a bottle things and it completely cycled my qt setup and had no issues
300g tub o fish

Offline AJ

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 14:05:15 »
What "bacteria in a bottle" do you suggest Viggen?  We used the "Bio-Boost" from Jacks on our DT when it was first starting and it seemed to work well.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 23:04:41 »
The stuff I used I do not know who can get it, it was from segrest farms and cost me $6 for a bottle that was more then enough to treat my 300+g qt setup

I was going to use dr Tim's products, they are also suppose to be excellent however a bit more expensive. 

Other then that I do not have any suggestions......
300g tub o fish