2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: RODI Question  (Read 1218 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
RODI Question
« on: June 01, 2019, 09:47:52 »
For the last couple of DI canisters I’ve been noticing that the media gets completely exhausted in small “pockets” of the inner canister. This is resulting in 1-2 TDS when most of the media is still purple. I feel like I’m packing the media in good and tight when I change it out. I’m just wasting a lot of media because of this. Any ideas of why this is happening and how I can remedy it??

Offline cbell56

• Juvenile
Re: RODI Question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 11:08:03 »
I haven't seen it do that before. My changes in layers starting at the bottom. You might try adding a second canister. I have one you can use to see if it works. That way you can leave the first canister on and still get 0 tds. Text me if you want to try it

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 11:24:15 »
That’s a good idea. I thought about buying a new inner canister to see if something might be clogged or something. But I’ll hook up another DI just to see what this one does over time. Thanks Chris!

Offline cbell56

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 11:41:59 »
I have extra di inner canisters too if you want to try it first

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 19:11:56 »
Thanks for the offer. I have a couple spares.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 21:04:06 »
That means the water is creating channels through the resin. Packing it in harder should fix the issue. The canister should feel very hard almost rock like when it is packed in hard enough.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 08:26:01 »
That’s what I figured was going on but I don’t know how I could pack it any tighter. I usually put a little in and then drop it on the countertop to compress it. Put a little more in, etc. Is there a better way to pack it? Please let me know...

That means the water is creating channels through the resin. Packing it in harder should fix the issue. The canister should feel very hard almost rock like when it is packed in hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 09:54:11 »
Use something you find around the house that fits the container. Something like a soup can

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 14:47:14 »
That picture looks more like a pocket than exhausted resin.  What do your canisters look like.  Are you sure you have the filter packing on the outlet side of the canister, and there should be a foam ring under the cap on the inlet side.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 19:09:00 »
You can’t tell from the pic due to the outer canister but it’s a quarter sized pocket of completely exhausted media. I hooked up a second DI canister today so I can see what happens with this one. Yes, everything seems to be in order. Maybe I just wasn’t getting it in there quite tight enough. I bought a mini can of tomato paste today. It WILL be pack solid going forward.

That picture looks more like a pocket than exhausted resin.  What do your canisters look like.  Are you sure you have the filter packing on the outlet side of the canister, and there should be a foam ring under the cap on the inlet side.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 21:21:44 »
 I’m interested to see if that works; I think it will but we shall see