2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Anemone height change  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Anemone height change
« on: September 29, 2018, 16:43:18 »
I have a BTA that has been healthy for a number of months.  I got him when his diameter was a little larger than a golf ball (I believe).  Now he is about the size of a softball. In the number of months that I've had him, I have watched him grow big/fluffy, as well as tall.  This week, I have noticed that he is hovering closer to the ground, but yet his tentacles are still fluffy and flowing like normal.  He's been eating like normal.  Nothing has changed.

Is this height reducing something to be concerned about?

I have seen him, when lights were out, turn himself in to a ball.  Meaning, his outer body closes up around him to only expose his head.  Only a tentacle tip or two showing.  Then once lights come on, he relaxes and goes back to normal.  Is this also normal behavior?

Should I be concerned with anything? And NO, he has not moved since I got him.  He found his home within the an hour or two and has been there since.  I'm thinking a good 6 months.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Re: Anemone height change
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 17:46:22 »
here are a few pictures of him right now.
Granted, he is on the smallest rock he could possibly find, it certainly doesn't match the size of him.

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 19:02:00 »
I don't know the answer to your question but I think he looks amazing

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 19:09:59 »
Thanks. After talking to another reefer, I've come to the conclusion I was overthinking and worrying about nothing.

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 19:13:11 »
I cant wait to put living fish and an anemone in my tank.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 19:17:18 »
I was always told to wait a year or more till the tank is well established before adding a nem.

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 19:19:13 »
Yeah thats what i keep hearing an seeing... I'm going to add the clowns and damsels though as soon as im 100% positive my tank is ready.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 19:22:50 »
Be cautious with the damsels. Some can be down right mean. I've heard many that have started with them, and regretted them shortly after. Then you'll hear others say they are model citizens. I have never tried them for that reason alone. Good luck tho

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 19:30:15 »
My parents had blue damsels when i was a kid and im just trying to get two different breeds in this small aquarium. Ive looked up that clowns and damsels are generally friendly together.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 08:24:59 »
Your nem is just fine and all you described is typical behavior.

I keep 3 azure damsels and they are on the passive side of damsels. I have had no issues with them at all, and I have a very peaceful tank with a lot of fish. They pay no attention to my 2 clowns, blue chromis, or any other fish.
It costs HOW much?!

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 18:37:13 »
I have about 5 of the sapphire damsels (springeri) that are pretty good community fish too.  The blue devils can get really mean.  Years ago I had the three stripe and dominos—  incredibly mean. Hardy though.