2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: corals are recovering, what is left!  (Read 2515 times)

Offline erky

• Adult
corals are recovering, what is left!
« on: June 20, 2018, 17:05:44 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: corals are recovering, what is left!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 22:39:04 »
Jaebo... get out of here. Lol; I laughed. Great video. :)

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:17:18 »
Jaebo... get out of here. Lol; I laughed. Great video. :)

thanks brian, I am going to visit soon ;)

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:23:19 »
nitrate was basically undetectable, i dosed to get it up to about 4 ppm and my po4 was .05, The corals were looking good with that po4 level so no correction will be taken for that currently.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:09:23 »
nitrate was basically undetectable, i dosed to get it up to about 4 ppm and my po4 was .05, The corals were looking good with that po4 level so no correction will be taken for that currently.
What are the corals recovering from?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 09:14:36 »
What are the corals recovering from?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:32:07 »
Good to hear they’re recovering. I wish my issues were as easy to figure out as yours was.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:40:26 »
did you do an ICP test? i remember your tank was crashing but cant remember everything you did, is there a thread?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:02:38 »
I did the Triton test. Everything was within range. It’s a long story but basically after 8 months of trial and error, I’m getting what looks like “burn” again. Just can’t figure out what’s causing it. Especially since new frags will explode with growth for about two months and then boom, they start losing tissue. I’ve set up another system to experiment. It just really shouldn’t be this difficult to figure out....

did you do an ICP test? i remember your tank was crashing but cant remember everything you did, is there a thread?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 11:39:07 »
I did the Triton test. Everything was within range. It’s a long story but basically after 8 months of trial and error, I’m getting what looks like “burn” again. Just can’t figure out what’s causing it. Especially since new frags will explode with growth for about two months and then boom, they start losing tissue. I’ve set up another system to experiment. It just really shouldn’t be this difficult to figure out....

sounds like alk or nutrient issue, is your tank to clean?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 14:37:50 »
Ironically, when my tank was running good I had 0 nitrates and 0 phos. Since i  dosed the Doxy in November, I am generally at 5-10 & .05 respectively. About a month ago I dropped my alk down to 8.2-8.5. Still getting the STN. One coral that is in high light that had been growing great for 2 months showed some bare tips this morning. Broke my heart

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 14:41:34 »
you sure they are not starving?

lights on for how long?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 17:16:21 »
you sure they are not starving?

lights on for how long?
I really don’t think I am. Below is my spreadsheet of test results. Date of test is the left column and the test type is labeled across the top. Water chemistry is extremely stable in my opinion.

As for lighting, I am down to thinking that I’m burning them with too much light even though the clubs PAR meter tells me I’m no higher than 400 anywhere in the tank. I run 4-54w AI Primes and a 100w Orbit LED stripper the back of the tank.

Here is the light schedule for the AI’s. As you can see, I’m only running them at 80%. But, I am running from 10am-7pm and ramping the whites up to 50%peak and then back down.

After seeing some tissue damage this morning, I changed it to this...

If there is anyone out there that has an opinion, I am listening. I have tried everything under the sun including setting up a whole new, separate system with different lighting just to see if I have better luck with it....