2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sump idea  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Sump idea
« on: December 21, 2011, 19:26:23 »

Have my return from my main tank feed the sump like this.  Have the various T's to allow "hook ups to small reactors if need be".  Where it goes down into the sump.. shorten the PVC and have it drain into a filter sock.  Also where it drains down into the sump have  "+" union so i can have it go into the sump, have some come out the top of the "+" to create a "air valve" to help with gurgling and so the return can continue on to my 50 gallon rubbermaid sump for:

Offline Amstar

• Adult
Re: Sump idea
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 19:27:51 »
somthing like this:

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 19:30:39 »
or something like this:  (either frags or a mangrove forest)

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 19:33:32 »
idea is to have it end up all together sort of like this (well just how the sumps are positioned not the plumbing part):

not sure if i want the drain from the tank to feed the 50 gallon or use a small pump (mag 7) to pump water up to the 50 gallon and use a spray bar type set up to move water in the 50 gallon and let it drain back down into the 100 gallon sump where it will be returned to the main tank

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 20:30:55 »
What are you using the 50 for? With this type of setup you have a lot of options.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 20:59:29 »
for the 50 gallon... i want to do  mangroves... some live rock... eventually maybe some frags... not real sure but i know i got the 50 gallon and 100 gallon rubbermaids for christmas (was at the parents house and they didnt hide them very well in the garage)

the 100 gallon sump will house live rock, heaters, macro-algae (in its own container to keep it in place) and possibly some GFO/Carbon reactors

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 21:22:04 »
You could use the 50 for all of you mangroves and micro-algaes as well as live rock. then use the 100 for heaters and other stuff as well as live rock. You could keep the live rock there unlit so sponges and other filter feeding stuff can grow. I believe its called a cryptic fuge. On the part of my sump that is unlit the live rock is covered in tube worms and neat sponges. I would let the tank water go into the 50 the dump into the 100. Or let it dump into the 100 and pump back into the 50 but that would require an extra pump to run.

What skimmer are you going to run? if it is a recirculating  skimmer you could always direct feed the skimmer with 1 of the drains (split with a tee and ball valve to control flow to skimmer) then let the skimmer drain into the 100 and the other drain go into the 50 then into the 100.

Like I said with this kinda setup there are quite a few different ways to set it up.