2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Two 1" drain questions... CONFUSED EVEN MORE KNOW 1.5" or 2" line  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
talking with a few people about taking two 1" drains and having them meet at a "T" then run/drain the sump either with a 1.5" or 2" PVC pipe.

Feedback I have gotten:

PVC Pipe I.D. for schedule 40:
1" = 1.033" I.D.
1.5" = 1.529 I.D.

So solve for the area of a circle...
(Pi * R^2) * 3.14 = cross sectional area

1" pipe has a cross sectional area of .84" square inches
1.5" pipe has a cross sectional area of 1.83 square inches

So 1.5" schedule 40 PVC pipe has a little over 2x the area of a 1" schedule 40 pipe.

That said... how the system operates (noise, etc) is very dependent on how much flow the 1" pipes are handling.

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Two 1" drain questions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 18:31:49 »
a few more responses:

So, all kinds of things can happen to clog a 1" line like wandering snails and fish. I would tee into a 2" pipe and dial back the pump so a partial clog of one would not overflow the display. I have an overflow with teeth and still managed to get a chromis in my single 2" overflow. If it was a one inch line, the DT would have overflowed. HTH

then the last:
The problem with Durso, Stockman, and other similar standpipe designs is that they are very highly dependent on regulating airlfow to limit the siphoning effect and noise. Teeing (2) such standpipes into a single pipe only serves to complicate the interaction between the two standpipes. Using a larger (2") main pipe will limit (possibly negate) the interaction but may generate noise due to the fact that the two pipes feeding it will not fill it and there will be a large volume of air that may churn the water.

In context to your setup, it sounds like you are going to utilize (2) strainers feeding the standpipes. If that is the case, then your surface skimming is going to be limited. On the other hand, if you have two individual overflow boxes doing the surface skimming, then you are going to struggle to keep (2) Dursos balanced.

To be clear, air assisted standpipe setups are only quite over a narrow range flows based on the pipe configuration. Your results will be hit or miss based on many variables (with out without them terminating in a single large pipe).

Before you go much furhter with your setup, it may be prudent to spend some time reading about different overflow designs.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Re: Two 1" drain questions... CONFUSED EVEN MORE KNOW 1.5" or 2" line
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 22:35:05 »
There are a number of ways you can do it. I have a 1" return line. A 3/4" full syphon drain and a 1.5" surface skim drain. As long as you have a good strainer on your drain pipes you shouldn't have to worry about them clogging. The way I did mine isn't perfectly silent but its not loud either.
If you want perfectly silent do an overflow with 3 1" drains. Two have elbows facing down the other facing up. The elbow facing up is the failsafe if the others get clogged. Drain 1 doing 100% syphon, the other is adjusted so that the fail safe drain barely has water trickling in it.