2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: water storage  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
water storage
« on: February 03, 2008, 14:28:11 »
I bought a new 32 gallon rubber made trash-can.  I have filled it up with RO water and I have a powerhead and a heater in there to get the water up to temp, as well as to keep the water moving.  is there anything else I need to do for this set up??  i am in the process of getting a flow-switch for the ro unit so the trash can will refill itself.  this water will be for water changes. 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: water storage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 15:06:11 »
You might want to add some salt...   :laugh: 

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 15:41:22 »
thats what I was wondering.  do you mix the salt later as you are getting ready to add it to the tank in buckets?  or do you have the whole 32 gallons set to the right level of salinity, temp, and ph (with buffer added)?? 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 15:44:46 »
We always add our salt when we put the water in the container. We make 90 gallons at a time usually a few days or so prior to the water change.  We heat it up the day of the change.  I don't add buffer.  We don't leave the water made up and sitting for a long period of time. 

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 16:50:33 »
I make up new salt water right away after a water change.  I'm always afaid I'll need salt water for an emergency and you shouldn't use newly mixed salt water until the water has been reoxygenated.  When you add the salt, it strips the water of oxygen.  So you need it to mix for 12-24hrs minimum from what I've read.  I've also read where its not good to have salt water made up for a long time as it starts to grow slime.  So your between a rock and a hard place on what's right or wrong.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 17:41:40 »
I've added newly made salt before with no problems although we usually try to make it a few days ahead. 

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 19:01:47 »
so what if you add a large airstone to the water to add oxygen that way?? in the past I have just used my ro/di water added the salt, made sure it was at the right salinity then dumped it into the sump, thus creating a huge surge of water movement and splashing, thus adding oxygen????   

so maybe add salt the night before and make sure the water is really being moved around in the storage container to ward off the slim for the 15-20 hours that it will be sitting until I get home from work.   

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 22:27:35 »
I've only had problems with slime after 3+ days.  As long as you keep the tank covered, the water moving, and out of light you should be fine.

I keep about 10+ gallons of freshwater on hand at all times for top-off, etc.

slandis3

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 00:35:51 »
I have a 32g ace trash can with ro/di water . I keep it full most of the time for top off and water changes.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 09:52:07 »
so when do add your salt for water changes?? while the water is sitting in the can or as you are getting ready to put it in the tank

slandis3

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 16:11:14 »
I have a secound can that i mix my salt in. I let mine sit for a day or 2 with a pump in it.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 16:27:49 »
that is probably the way I will go as well.  a second can for the mixing and to let it stand with water-movement.   

now with the can that you have your ro/di water do you have water movement in that??

Offline verper

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 17:14:30 »
No water movement or heaters in the ro/di trash can is needed.  Only small amounts of that water is used for top off at any one time.  You only need the heater and powerhead in a second trash can with the salt and water for a water change.  I've looked up some more info on this and the advise ranges from mixing it for at least 24 hours to as much as a few weeks.  There was one article that even said that newly mixed salt water is very caustic and can harm your fish.  Most recommended a minimum of 24-48 hour mixing before using.  I think the % of water change you do also makes a difference.  If you are only changing 10%, it won't affect your tank the same way a 40% change could.

I will say that I just happened to clean my 55 gallon drum out last night after a water change (because of the warm weather) and I had no slime in it this time.  Last time I cleaned it out was in Oct before it got cold.  Only thing I did different this time was to put a cover over the opening.  I did have some calcium deposits in the bottom of it.

slandis3

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 17:24:48 »
no i dont have any movment in my holding tank.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 03:47:20 »
One thing to consider, you may want to buy a container that is food grade.  It's a small detail, but the extra couple of dollars is worth the peace of mind.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 13:45:16 »
I use a Brute 32g which is NSF certified to be safe around food. I keep RO/DI water in it for top-offs and mixing saltwater.

I usually just mix up my saltwater and use it as soon as the salinity is correct. I very seldom let it sit before using it. So far no problems.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 14:28:48 »
Salt is very irritating to my skin...so I just wait until I can stick my arm into the saltwater with no problems.  I think it's pretty fail-safe (usually more than 24 hours anyway).  If my arm doesn't break out into a rash...it's probably safe for the fishies.   :laugh:

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 19:31:45 »
I mix my saltwater like a caveman compared to everyone else i guess  ;D  I pull 5 gallons out of my aquarium and empty it into a 5 gallon water bottle then I take another 5 gallon water bottle filled with freshwater take a funnel and put in my salt and shake it for about five minutes, I then sit it in front of the main furnace vent turn up the heat one degree then I pour the 5 gallon container slowly back into my aquarium.  guess I acquired this skill or lack of from the nano days.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 20:13:16 »
thats pretty much how i use to do it.  I would have a 5 gallon bucket.  take 5 gallons from the main tank.  put 5 gallon of ro/di water back into the bucket.  dump into salt, check the salt level, then dump the whole thing in at one time.