2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Im a DIY idiot  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Im a DIY idiot
« on: March 11, 2008, 11:11:09 »
so I have all of the stuff to make the auto water top off system.  I cant get the darn thing wired right.

I bought a workhorse 5 ballast to get my actinics running on my retro fit halide lights.  Not only do I not know how to wire it, I think the ballast is the wrong one and will not work with the lights that I have.

So saying that, I have a 16 gallon bowfront that i have a hang on refigium.  I want to take a large sump (i have an extra refigium) and use this instead of the hang on.  with the tank not being drilled, whats the best way to be able to use this sump.  the inlet to the sump has I believe a 1 inch hole for a hose.  Is there anyway to just hang some pcv over the edge of the tank, start a siphon down to the sump then have a maxi jet do the water return through pcv? 

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: Im a DIY idiot
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:35:38 »
One option is a hang on over flow box. Next time you stop by the shop, ask me or Dan about this and We'll show you what one is and how it works.

The other option is to drill the tan but you will need to completly brake down the aquarium to do so.

Joel

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 11:54:06 »
I will actually be breaking down here soon to move it out of my office room to make the room into a nursery, so drilling it would be a good option.

I thought about an overflow box but i thought they were huge and would take up alot of space especially in a 16 gallon nano.

the overall tank setup with the fish and corals is awesome, but the hangon refigium is not cutting it as far as taking out the extra nutrients in the water (i like to overfeed sometimes) 

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 17:16:43 »
so I have all of the stuff to make the auto water top off system.  I cant get the darn thing wired right.

I bought a workhorse 5 ballast to get my actinics running on my retro fit halide lights.  Not only do I not know how to wire it, I think the ballast is the wrong one and will not work with the lights that I have.

If you need some electrical advice, just let me know.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 20:02:19 »
Do you have pics of what you bought for your auto top-off? If so, email it to me and I will try to set up a wiring diagram for you.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 16:10:09 »
my top off switch

my pump, extension cord and water container

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 16:13:07 by Amstar »

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 16:21:19 »
old ballast  (8 wires)

old ballast housing

workhorse 5 ballast (5 wires)

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 16:42:17 »
The only thing I see missing from your ATO is a piece of rigid airline tubing to run down into your water container.

1) Take your extension cord and cut 1 of the wires. You want to do this at a point so the plug can reach the outlet and the float switch can reach the sump.

2) Take 1 lead from the switch and connect it to one of the cut ends of your extension cord.

3) Take the second lead from the switch and connect it to the other side of the cut wire on your extension cord.

4) Take a piece of rigid airline tubing and cut it so that it ends about 1 inch off the bottom of your water container.

5) Connect a piece of tubing to the end of the rigid tube and connect the other end to the input on your pump.

6) Take a second piece of tubing and connect it to the output on your pump. The other end outputs into your sump.

7) Mount the float switch in your sump.

8) Fill your container with water and add the pickling like. Let it settle for awhile.

9) Plug the pump into the extension cord and plug in the extension cord.

Whoila!!! Auto top off!!!

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 16:48:15 »
Here is a VERY crude wiring diagram!!

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 16:51:56 »
makes sense.  now to cut the extension cord tonight.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

Offline verper

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 18:44:54 »
You may be better using a relay.  Many of those floats are not rated for 120 volts.  Line voltage can make the float fail prematurely.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 19:45:56 »
and what the heck is that?

slandis3

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 19:56:05 »
I will try to get you a parts list on how i made mine using a relay. What it does it allows you to run 12v throught the float switch and controll the pump with 110v. Im not real good at explaining the tech side of it but its simple. When i get home in the moring i will try to find a diagram i used.

slandis3

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 19:59:22 »
here is the link i used. The only difference in mine and this one i didnt use the fance relay holder. http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html a little side note. i also did not use the gfci extension cord the use.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 22:09:55 »
The float switch I got is rated for 120, but don't know about his. A relay would definately be safer, but a bit more difficult.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 13:57:13 »
this is all of the info that i have on the float switch.  it came from china. 

Use them with hydroponics, saltwater tank, freshwater tank, gardening, aquariums for power head control, pet bowls, fish tanks, filtration, heating, pumps, ponds, basement alarms, boats, air condition drain pans, pressure washers, carpet cleaning mach., reef aquarium, fluid control, ice machines, coffee pots, marine, automotive, automobiles, tropical fish tanks, evaporator coils, condensation line, in relays, or what ever your project may be. This is a mini float switch. Contains no mercury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

①FST-45LPP-001 INTRODUCE

install : This float switch is easily installed at the top of a tank by means of a threaded union and washer incorporated in the body of the switch. .

how to working :The switch consists of a floating magnet and a miniature electromagnetic switch contained within the tube.

The electric circuit is normally open when the tank is full: Float up = switch open, no electrical flow.

As the water level lowers, the float sinks and the circuit closes. Float down = switch closed, active current flow.

Installing the float 180 degrees will reverse the electrical conditions to:

float up = switch closed. Float down = switch open.

The floats are available in two types of materials:

(PP) Plastic tube and float. Used for most water and mild chemical based applications.

(SS) Stainless steel tube and float. Used for harsh chemical and corrosive applications.

Material specification :

Float ball: P.P
                               Float body:p.p
                                Tempe Rating :-10----+105 ℃
                                Max Contact Rating :70W
                                Max Switching voltage :220VAc
                                Max Switching Current :0.7A
                                Wire Lengh : 450mm

Bwlr

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 14:53:08 »
This is for CF fluorescent lamps, right?

Black and white go to the power source. Black hot - White common

Here's another rough picture.

The end caps should only have 2 wires coming out of them.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 15:38:07 »
take a look at the old ballast housing.  all those wires go to one main wire which then plugs into the retro lights that I have.  the plug into the lights almost look like a computer plug in.  as soon as my camera is charged, I will take a pic of the end of the old ballast

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 16:18:31 »
ballast housing wiring

The rest of the ballast housing wiring

the female end coming out of the ballast housing going to the actinics.  its plugs into its male counter-part

so on the ballast housing I have that the green and the white on the first picture above are for the actual power source for the ballast, they go to the plug in the wall. 

Offline verper

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 18:36:56 »
Material specification :

Float ball: P.P
                               Float body:p.p
                                Tempe Rating :-10----+105 ℃
                                Max Contact Rating :70W
                                Max Switching voltage :220VAc
                                Max Switching Current :0.7A
                                Wire Lengh : 450mm

It looks like you can use line voltage with that one.  Just make sure your pump is less than .7 amps or 70 watts.  I would still go with a relay, but that is personal preference.

slandis3

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 19:17:30 »
If you dont go with a relay make sure your tank has a ground probe. If the swicth shorts out and sends 110v throught your tank it wouldnt be pretty.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 21:30:35 »
FWIW, I don't have a ground probe on mine. Do make sure that you are plugged into a GFCI outlet!!

slandis3

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 21:58:58 »
FWIW, I don't have a ground probe on mine. Do make sure that you are plugged into a GFCI outlet!!

that works as well. Just make sur you have some type of protection.

Bwlr

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 22:03:06 »

Where does the black and white wires go?
Does it go to a normal 120v plug? Like the ones ones you find on a lamp or something.

If so, then I would take the small black wire and put a connector on it and connect to the switch, and connect the white wire to the other smaller white wire.
Then you can use the small red, yellow and purple (or whatever) on the other end to run to the other connector you have in your hand.
You need to know the pin diagram of that plug.

Man... this is hard to explain.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 22:24:37 »
okay with the picture right above.  the green wire with the eyelet and the white wire go to the plug that plugs into the wall, I belive the green was a ground and the wite one I have no idea.  the black wire from that bunch goes to the switch.  the rest of the wires that are going to the left are suppose to hook up to the ballast.  The old ballast I had doesnt work, and the new one, the workhorse 5 doesnt seem to have enough wires. 

plus this is just the ballast housing.  this isnt even the ballast.  the one wires go to the 120 wall plug in.  the rest go to the female plug that plugs into my retrofit.  all of the colored wires are suppose to hook up to a ballast.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 22:29:29 by Amstar »