2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: black acrylic  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
black acrylic
« on: December 13, 2008, 21:01:03 »
I thought someone had mentioned there was a place to get black acrylic... cant remember where they said.  looking to cover up my overflows.

slandis3

Re: black acrylic
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 21:57:17 »
menards here in tipp city has it instock

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 22:06:37 »
that was the place.  thanks

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 13:02:29 »
can you bend acrylic by putting it in the oven??

if so how long do u put it in the oven and at what temp

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 14:10:14 »
I do believe you want to only heat the part that you want to bend... if you put it in the oven it would uniformly heat and just kinda melt... I know they talked about heating machines in my materials class last semester but i imagine you could get a heat gun and just run it back and forth along the part you want to bend but i would use a jig to make sure you get a good bend with it
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 14:12:52 »
I’ve never heard of it going in the oven, but we have bent some acrylic at work for certain applications.

I don’t know if all acrylic bends or not. But, what we used was a heat stripping gun and heated the acrylic evenly where we needed it to bend, then bent it when it was soft. When we did this it didn’t turn out too pretty, but for our application it was never going to be seen, so it didn’t matter.

We actually deformed/melted part of it, so if your going to attempt to bend it I would practice a lot before doing it on something that was going to be seen.

I second what udjustin said about a jig

cloran

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 16:21:39 »
I think if you look online, they talk about heating acrylice potionally realeses a flamable gas. So in theory putting it inside an oven would kinda be making a bomb. I've always used a propane touch to do it, but you gotta be real slow and take your time doing it.

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 17:33:50 »
I think if you look online, they talk about heating acrylice potionally realeses a flamable gas. So in theory putting it inside an oven would kinda be making a bomb. I've always used a propane touch to do it, but you gotta be real slow and take your time doing it.

many diy skimmer necks are put into an oven and fromed. DO NOT USE THE OVEN IN YOUR KITCHEN TO HEAT ACRYLIC. It does put off nasty fumes when you heat it.I have used a map gas tourch to heat and bend small pieces in the past with no problems other than heating to long and it cracks or melts. I belive 350 deg is the number most people shoot for. I had an old oven in my garage i used for heating acrylic. I set mine in there at 350 for 10 minutes and it bent great. I used quarted inch. the thinner it is the less time in the oven is needed.The safest way is with an acrylic strip heater but they are expensive. If you are making overflow covers i would just cut and glue it.