2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: baffel question  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
baffel question
« on: January 18, 2009, 15:49:13 »
I saw a sump set up like this

what are the advantages of having the first baffel coming up from the bottom of the sump compared to it coming from the top of the sump and leaving 1" from the bottom. 

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
Re: baffel question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 16:02:39 »
what a baffeling question ok that was bad but I had to do it. I believe the extra baffels are for a bubble trap, but I don't think most people need that extensive of a bubble trap.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline larrynews

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 16:43:00 »
if you do it that way the water is going to have to very high to go over i would be afraid of overflows when and if the power goes out

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 16:50:19 »
thats what I was thinking but what is the advantages/disadvantages of having alot of water in your sump?  what if you have room to handle the extra water when power goes out?

I am sort of liking this idea since my sump is a 125 gallon tank

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 19:23:28 »
As long as you can handle the back flow if the power goes out your good.  The added water volume helps keep everything more stable.  It takes alot more to disrupt 500 gallons then 12.  I actually made my refgium so the third baffle lets some water through about 6" from the bottom.  I like to leave a little more room between the baffles so I can keep a sponge to remove any thing large that gets through.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 20:37:28 »
do you have a pic of how your baffels are set up?

also what about flipping it.

1st baffel comes down from the top down leaving 1" from the bottom of the sump.  the second baffel comes from the bottom of the sump and the third comes from the top of the sump again.

with doing it this way.. couldnt I control how much water is in the sump better by deciding how much saltwater I want to mix up and have in the sump and just maintain the water level at that level with top off?

I confused and really the only thing setting me back is the building of my sump.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 22:15:22 »
I will try to get you some pics.  My wife is out of town with the camera right until tomorrow night.  It shouldn't make to much differance with the baffles.  Flipped is how mine is set up.  That way I can keep bio balls and they don't spill over or under for that matter.  The water level isn't affected by the baffles.  They affect the flow. I only used 2 baffles in mine.  1st top down. 2nd bottom up with a 1/2" slit about 6-8" inches up.  Then the rest of the water flows over the top.  I am using a 125 also.  I don't know what you are using for a return pump but don't make your return section to small.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 22:31:22 »
that is how I orginally had it planned out.  two baffels after the inlet (1st coming from the top down with about 1" off the bottom of the sump, 2nd baffel coming up from the bottom of the tank)  then two at the end before the return section of the sump.

I plan on having a 14" long by 18" wide return section for the external pump.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 22:52:14 »
Thats really close to what mine is.  I only have one baffel at the end.  What is the reason for using 2?
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 21:06:33 »
to allow me to put a sponge or maybe some carbon or something in case I have macro-algae that is free floating to much so that I do not get it sucked into my pump?

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 02:24:48 »
I think you would want your carbon or sponge at the beginning.  If you have it at the end it will catch your living critters that you want to get sucked up to your tank.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 14:33:55 »
whats a good way to help or ensure that macro-algae doesnt get sucked into the return pump?

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 16:07:50 »
Mine has always just kinda held on to my rocks.  I only had a problem once when I had calurpa (?) and it decided to go crazy and disintegrate on me.  I can see that being a problem I've just never had it happen.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 18:29:56 »
so would you have macroalge.. then like a live rock wall then the mangrove forest?  that should stop "loose" macro algae from getting to the return pump?

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 20:29:57 »
Now that I am moving my refugium to the basement I am going to do a mangrove forest.  As much as possable anyway.  I plan on mixing rock in between the trees and having a macro algae of some sort.  I am sure all of that will keep it from flowing into the pump.
Dayton,Ohio