2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: resealing the top frame of a tank  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
resealing the top frame of a tank
« on: February 24, 2009, 17:11:04 »
the 150 is going into the wall this weekend.  When I first got the tank I the top frame (black that goes around the top of the glass) was loose.  I pulled it off and bought some silcone.. only for it to sit for the next 6 months.

I was going to reseal the frame to the tank... anything special i need to know before I do this?

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: resealing the top frame of a tank
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 17:46:49 »
clean off the old silicone from the tank and from the trim as best as possible. Over lap the silicone to areas that originally did not have silicone as much as possible. What ever oozes out around the edges, wipe it clean, what ever you missed, razor it off after it dries.

The reason you need to do as much overlap to areas that originally did not have silicone on them is that silicone does not adhere to itself. Despite your best effort, there will be residual silicone left over after your razor the old stuff off. You wast fresh , virgin surface for the new silicone to stick to.

Joel

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 19:50:56 »
do you apply the silicone to the trim (inside of it) or directly onto the glass edging?  or both

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 19:56:01 »
Both, get as good coverage as possible

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 22:52:40 »
Sounds good.   cant wait to finally get this in the wall so I can start buying corals and fish again

Midwest Express

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:01:08 »
I did this with a 55.  I scraped all the contact surfaces with a razor first.  Put a good bead of silicone on the rim of the tank... then filled the trim with silicone as well.  Once I pressed the trim back on I just went around the inside of the tank trim to get any extra off.  I let it sit for a week and filled with water to test the tank out.  No leaks at all.

Just make sure everything is clean before you try to reseal.