2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: School Project - Which School?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
School Project - Which School?
« on: July 30, 2011, 14:11:59 »
For our school project should it be Junior or High School?
Does anyone know of a school that would be a good partner for this project, perhaps  we have a teacher amongst us or member that has a  connection with school staff?
Is there someone that would be willing to be the direct connection between the school and Ohio Reef? "Spokesperson"

If you don't know what this thread is about click here

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: School Project - Which School?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 15:28:54 »
I will try to contact Centerville Middle school Tower Heights.

I would like to see us get a few schools compete to get this. Writting reports Etc...

Just a thought
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 20:52:54 »
I'd say middle school or Jr high.  I think high school might loose some of the "coolness" of having a reef... :) (until your in your 20s-30s and want one :))

I know our Gifted class in Jr only had like 3 teachers so we only switched classes twice a day instead of 8 times like most students.  That may give a classroom more stability?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 21:11:02 »
Just a heads up, if you are going to be having contact with kids (on a regular basis, not just a guest speaker) any school might ask you to get fingerprinted and FBI background checked.  We make anyone at our school who volunteers or goes on field trips to complete this.  Once you do it, its on file for 5 years.  The cost, depending on your local district or police station typically is $55-65.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 21:23:26 »
I don't think we would have any contact with kids. Everything would likely be done after school hours.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 21:52:54 »
I don't think we would have any contact with kids. Everything would likely be done after school hours.
+1 After school hours would be the only time I could do anything.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:30:15 »
If you want to do anything at Miamisburg I know a few of the staff in both the jr high and highschool that my help get things set up
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 11:07:28 »
Yes Cody, ask them if they have room and would be interested, feel free to work out details and get back with us. Looks like the recommendation is junior high school level.

Offline reef newbie

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:53:33 »
I have a few contacts with piqua city schools.

Jeremy

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:47:47 »
That would be great if you could check with them. We have lots of people that want to help but not much that have contacts.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 13:12:09 »
I would like to suggest my local school (Bethel) who has gone through many failed levies.... their science class in the middle school could really benefit from a donation like this....   A smaller school like this gets overlooked quite often.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 13:19:55 »
We could probably do a couple. Feel free to inquire with your local school system.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 14:45:35 »
I've started, the main issue will be breaks in the school year, Xmas, Spring break etc...

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 11:07:49 »
OK I've talked with the Middle School Science teacher at Bethel and she would be really happy to have a tank in her room as the first chapters that she is teaching in 8th grade are Invertebrates and Corals.  She said that anytime in the next few weeks we could set up, School starts in 2 weeks.

What is the next step?  Does a vote need to occur?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 11:16:55 »
I will check with miamisburg school system, I have been busy lately but I will see what they say.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 12:37:09 »
Todd that is awesome news! Bethel is a great school for out first setup, small and close to many of us. I am really excited about this. I am at work now but will comment tonight and create a board for the bethel middle school project!

Thanks Cody miamisburg will be another great school and local to others for another project.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 12:52:36 »
That is soooooo cool.  The science teacher is going to be very happy if we can make this happen.  I will do whatever it takes to make it so.

Offline Seano Hermano

• Seano
  • Adult
    • Concept Reef
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 02:34:29 »
I really love the idea. I wish I was close enough to any of these schools to help out.
Sean

29G Reef Build
10G sump
Hydor Slim Skim Nano protein skimmer
Danner Mag Drive 7 return pump