2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Nudibranch...Berghia?  (Read 5720 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Nudibranch...Berghia?
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:45:08 »
I was checking out my frag tank this morning and spotted this. It appears similar to a Berghia, but would like confirmation.

Offline joncat24

• Adult
Re: Nudibranch...Berghia?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 11:13:18 »
Looks more like the zoa eating variety to me, but hard to be sure. Me personally, I would trash it
John

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 11:39:21 »
Well, upon further looking around I’m seeing them on the dead under side of a digitata. I actually think they have taken out a few SPS frags over the last few weeks. So how do you eradicate them without ruining the whole setup? Flatworm exit?

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:50:50 »
yeah, flatworm exit will kill them. make sure to have water ready to do a water change afterwards. When they die, they release toxins into the water. Just make sure to follow directions on Flatworm exit
John

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 14:00:53 »
After further research and inspection, I believe they are Montipora eating nudibranch. I only have 3 sources that could have brought them into my frag tank.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 15:22:51 »
It is defintley a Monti eating nudi. BRS about 6 months ago had them in their system and did a YouTube video on them

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 16:25:53 »
Thanks Brian. I just added flatworm exit.

The only thing the instructions don’t explain is how long do I wait to dose it again. I can see egg sacks around my Spongode Frag.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 20:20:43 »
Well that was a lost cause as you mentioned. Frag tank is now offline. Frags in the trash. *Sigh. This hobby is so unforgiving sometimes. I just pray they didn’t make it to the display tank.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 22:06:23 »

Really sorry to see the that type of critter and hear that you had to take down your frag tank. Let me know if you need anything?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 22:29:56 »
Thanks Rick. It really isn’t a big deal. I set that tank up as a fish QT/frag tank. I’ve got all the fish in my DT tank now. As far as the frags, they were mostly just Corals that I broke off in the DT. There’s only one that I want to keep and it’s an acro. I’m just gonna cut it off the plug, dip it, inspect it and then put it in the DT.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 17:10:44 »
What does everyone use to dip new frags in? I use Revive but I’m guessing that isn’t potent enough.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 17:24:07 »
CoralRX

Bayer works as well, and is less stressful on the corals.  But harder to see what comes off

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 18:13:56 »
ME coral makes a good dip if you can find it ans Wall Tank is correct Bayer is great but very cloudy

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 20:44:46 »
Thanks guys. I think I’m gonna pick up the Coral RX as the BRS video recommends it as well.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 20:56:00 »
The issue is the eggs. They are protected and unaffected by dips. Revive works great as does all the others mentioned to help detect pests. Next time you come by I can give some tips. Maybe I will do a video for all to see if I find some time. My protocols aren’t perfect but it does dramatically decrease the chance of getting a pest. I could talk about this topic for an hour pretty easy.

Bayer is great to treat a problem but should be avoided in the detection process when dipping a new coral. Stick with revive, coral rx or ME dips for that

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 21:35:14 »

I have the ME dip if you want it.

Offline birdmandan

• Fry
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 07:28:19 »
Flatworm exit will not kill monti eating nudis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 12:25:28 »
The issue is the eggs. They are protected and unaffected by dips. Revive works great as does all the others mentioned to help detect pests. Next time you come by I can give some tips. Maybe I will do a video for all to see if I find some time. My protocols aren’t perfect but it does dramatically decrease the chance of getting a pest. I could talk about this topic for an hour pretty easy.

Bayer is great to treat a problem but should be avoided in the detection process when dipping a new coral. Stick with revive, coral rx or ME dips for that
Thanks for the info Brian. The research I’ve done backs that up about the eggs. My worry going forward are killing the live ones on a new frag. Going forward I’m going to remove the frags from the plugs and use a toothbrush on the base. I think a video of your protocol would be fantastic. Do you ever use multiple dips? Say, dip it in Revive first and then dip it in CoralRX?
So far I think my QT practice was decent. I have inspected everything in the DT and cannot find any evidence that I have them in there. I think the culprit was an undata I bought at the swap. Luckily, I removed the coral from the plug and dipped it before I put it in the display. Keeping fingers crossed.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 12:26:19 »

I have the ME dip if you want it.
Thanks for the offer Rick. It sounds like Revive is good and I already have that.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 12:28:32 »
Flatworm exit will not kill monti eating nudis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I learned that shortly after using it on the frag tank. Flatworms were toast, nudis we’re just a little stunned. That’s why I tore the setup down. Everything was cleaned and put in the basement to dry out.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 14:15:27 »
Good thing you had the frag tank for your new acquisitions and caught before they hit the display. Sounds like it is going to turn into quarantine. if that where to ever happened again consider not tossing your acros or any other coral that was not a monti. The odss that a monti eating nudi would transfer with acro are slim to almost none although I understand the concern and why you would though.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 15:24:09 »
I thought about it, but the acros I had in there were cheap WWC auction frags I got for about $10. In fact I pulled them from the DT cuz they weren’t all that attractive and I wanted to make room. Plus, there were nudis all over the place once I started looking really closely. I had the Frozen Leptastrea mounted on a piece of rubble and when I picked it up there were 2 adults on the underside. I wasn’t taking any chances...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 17:28:31 »
oh wow good thing you did then

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 18:33:04 »
So do any of you use multiple dips? I’m just wondering if some dips are better for some things versus others. I wouldn’t want to put undue stress on the frag but was thinking that may be something smart to do.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 18:44:25 »
I just use coral Rx on sps and Lps. Some also do Bayer as a second step. I think BRS has a video. I should probably do it as prevention is the best cure.

I have freshwater dipped and peroxide dipped zoas and they do fine.  Also Furan for zoapox.