2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Aiptasia issue in overflow  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Aiptasia issue in overflow
« on: March 06, 2017, 15:59:45 »
I think I know this answer, but will post the question.

In one of my overflows, I have three really large Aiptasias growing.  They are very fat and happy.  I noticed them the other day, when I looked up in to the overflow from underneath the tank.  Was curious to what I'd see.
They are attached to the Durso pipes.

My peppermint shrimp plowed through all that I had but obviously I have none in the overflows.  Plus, I think the Aips are too big at this point that the shrimp wouldn't touch them.

I'm a little concerned if one of my fish jump in, they will get stung, if not killed.

I thought about boiling them out, but between the pipes and the tight confined space, it's hard to get to.

any ideas?

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
Re: Aiptasia issue in overflow
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 18:40:41 »
Depending on the design, I think the manjaro wand would be a great option. Nothing else back there to hust if you can reach the wand to it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:06:29 »
I had aiptasia and bubble algae in my last reef which was shut down in 2013 when we moved to a new house. Both  are undesirable and should  to be avoided at all costs because once they get established, they will mass produce and wreck havoc on your reef.

If you found larger aiptasia in your overflow, I suspect smaller ones may exist that you can't see as well. If they are only located in the overflow, I would suggest temporarily disconnecting the overflow from your display and remove them however you see fit. They can mass produce when being attacked which I why I suggested you shut down the overflow first before removing them, if possible.

The big aiptasia can kill fish and corals. Red Sea makes a good product too but I like your idea of removal too so long as you shut down the overflow first and disconnect it from your display.

Offline wrassel

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 20:24:39 »
I have been able to kill aipstasia using kalkwaser aka pickling lime from the grocery store. I mix it to a paste consistency and draw it into a syringe. The ones I use are from our lab at work and air line tubing fits perfect on the end. This allows me to reach right to the aipstasia and coat it with the paste. If your overflow has strong flow the paste might not stick. Any that I have put it on disolve away.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 20:27:23 »
the only issue i have is that they are located at the very bottom of the overflow.  not like they are easy to get to. the wand may be best

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 20:48:00 »
Try this. Boil a gallon of saltwater. Turn off return pump. Pour boiling hot saltwater in overflow. and let it sit for about 30 minutes to cool. Turn return pump back on.
Never tried this but i think it may work.