2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Wall_Tank Triton Data  (Read 5916 times)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Wall_Tank Triton Data
« on: December 23, 2015, 16:59:40 »
Water Source:  Beavercreek City
Filtration/RO/DI Setup: Softener/RODI
Salt Used:  Currently a Mix of RSCP and TropicMarin Reef Pro
Water Change Frequency:  Alot lately
Any Additives Used:  BRS Additives, Also did experiment with Bromide, which I'm surprised it's low.

Data from Triton

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Wall_Tank Triton Data
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 18:56:04 »
Do you run gfo?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 20:37:39 »
Paul
  I can help with the po4 if you are interested in trying the lanthanum treatment?  I can give you some to try.  Only problem that I have ever had with it is taking the po4 levels down too fast by using too much.
jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 21:06:02 »
No gfo, I just grow macro.  The Phosphate is only a minor problem, I've been slacking on housekeeping.  The phosphate is not bad enough to be killing my sps anyway.   I am wondering if the iron was higher than this in the past.... The bolt I pulled from the overflow was about totally dissolved.

Otherwise, the data really doesn't explain the sps problems.  It must be a bacterial issue

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 13:19:40 »
Agree PO4 not a major problem. I was just curious what you were doing as I have been trying to find a balance.   When I run GFO I don't have enough Phosphate and when I don't seems I get a lot of algea. Macro might be the way to go as there are many ways to cut PO4 if you need to.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 14:50:19 »
Still having problems with SPS....   Just got these test results back today.   Nothing really a smoking gun that I see.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 17:17:49 »
Just alk, calcium dosing? Nothing else such as Carbon dosing?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 17:22:03 »
Yes, just alk and calc from BRS.

Nitrates are a bit high around 50 or so.......symptom is just STN.   But it's a bit odd that the polys die well after the tissue has decayed around the polyp.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 17:40:33 »
This may be a dumb question but have you changed your lighting at all recently? The way you describe the STN, it sounds like what I am going thru with my lighting mistake. I had a mille that had a polyp extended on a piece of the flesh that was hanging off the skeleton.

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 18:43:45 »
Not sure if consistently low levels of potassium would be worth looking into.  I also probably wouldn’t read into nutrient levels on a sample sent overseas.  I would think a tiny piece of algae or gunk could easily get included in the sample and skew results.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 19:09:21 »
No, I don't change my lighting, and in these cases these are frags I got from lazy, and they took 2-3 weeks before showing signs of regressing health.   I never really look at the nutrient levels in these tests either.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 19:18:17 »
Man wish I could suggest something but I am at a loss. I think the tissue loss long before the polyp bailout is a great clue but I’m not sure what that might signify.

I think their is online calculator to determine salinity from the triton test. Might be good to check that box and eliminate that as issue as well.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 19:26:34 »
In some corals like the green slimer where the skin has florescence. The skin looses the color, turning purple first.

The problem has been going on for nearly 2 years now. I took some time away from corals, and ran Fish Only(Which are happy as can be).  Got myself a new large mixing tank to do 150+ gallon water changes, and using different salt now too.  Same symptoms......

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 23:15:38 »
Had some sps problems a few months ago, and 100% water change seemed to solve it.  All measurable parameters were ok. My guess was vibro some other bacteria had built up in the water column.

Sounds like you went this route already. 

Throwing it out?  If parameters are all on, is it Organic?  Maybe bacteria additions to out compete any bad bacteria you might have?  Dr. Tim makes a probiotic.  UV?  Ozone?

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 23:55:37 »
Also do you have problems with all SPS or just acros? 

Can’t imagine you’d have pests with all that fallow time.

I did notice your iodine was 0. Mine was too when I sent mine in a long time ago. Seems like the current wisdom is that you don’t need it, but some old schoolers swear by it.  Not sure if supplementation would make sense or not?

I guess allelopathy could be an issue. You hear about toadstools, goniopora, oxypora, leathers being issues. Carbon would help but may not be complete—ozone would work I guess.

When all your parameters look good it’s a mystery!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 09:17:49 »
Pests are highly unlikely, since the tank was nearly coral free for nearly a year.  The only SPS that survived was a Sunset monti, the part that survived is basically just the green polyps, there is no base that I could see for the longest time.  In the past couple of days if I hit it with a blue flashlight at night, I can see some red in a few places.   But the polyps are nice and fully extended.

The LPS did decay in the past too, but that was likely due to me neglecting everything after the crash.  I have a few heads of my hammers that survived, and are looking good now.

I don't have other corals right now, never had leathers or such.   I do run carbon, but tried no carbon for a while too.   There are a few sponges growing in the tank, but never heard of them being a problem.   I do have something that is growing in clusters of tubes that has spread all over the rock.  I always thought it was some sort of tube anemone......I'll get a good picture later.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 17:50:02 »
I got a acro,birdsnest and a milli all at the same time from lazy.

The acro and birsdsnest are gonners, but the milli looks good.  No signs or regression.