2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: par reading questions.  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
par reading questions.
« on: December 27, 2018, 18:40:41 »
I have recently seen a video from brs and wwc were they go over there par readings on there display tank. I was shocked at how low they were.  they were testing  with the apogee Q-510(the same meter as the club)  and were showing beautiful sps / acro corals at  250-350 range Ive kept mine at 450 for months and have noticed a decline in polyp extension and color.  I am going to lower mine to better match their tank.

What does par to you shoot for low and high range and what is your guy photo period?

Offline Miles

• Adult
Re: par reading questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 19:55:38 »
I honestly have no idea what my PAR readings are, I checked them with the clubs meter probably 4 or 5 years ago and completely forget what they were. I've been trying to emulate the CoralLab pamphlets that Ecotech marine has on their website.

https://ecotechmarine.com/corallab

The pamphlet they have on flow is based on the systems that WWC has at their facility in Orlando, and the Spectrum and PAR pamphlet is based on the settings at Reef Wholesale in Toronto, ON. My setup is fairly similar to the ones discussed in terms of lighting placement and water depth and since Im using Radions and Vortechs I figure I can pretty much copy what they are doing and have similar results...

If you aren't using Ecotech products they are still probably worth a read, they do discuss PAR readings and flow recommendations that have worked at both of those facilities.

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
Re: par reading questions.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 16:06:43 »
PAR is only part of the picture. There is spectrum that plays an equal part in that. Depending on the light your using you may or may not be able to adjust it. Starting lower with PAR and slowly working it up has created success for me. If you are keeping a mixed reef you can see how all your coral react as the PAR is increased.