2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Aquarium Documentation Wiki  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Miles

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Aquarium Documentation Wiki
« on: January 24, 2017, 12:10:20 »
This may rank among one of the geekier things I have ever done, but I have been thinking for the last several years that I should have some sort of documentation in a binder or something on how to operate my system. I figured this would be a good idea if I even needed someone to do something for me when I was on vacation or something and there was a tank emergency, or just to answer simple questions for whoever is watching my tank. I never came up with a good way that would make this easily maintainable and I kept putting it off.  I wanted to have sections for how to do basic maintenance, feeding, power outage procedures, inhabitants profiles, palytoxin warning, etc.

While daydreaming in a meeting at work yesterday, it suddenly dawned on me. A FishWiki would solve all of this. Set up a wiki with all of this info and then make sure to leave the URL in an obvious place for a tanksitter.

So when I got home from work, I set up a Raspberry Pi to run MediaWiki plugged into my UPS with my router (which I use to receive alerts form my Apex during a power outage) .

It is far from finished, but I do have a few simple pages describing how to perform a water change and the proper way to feed everything.  Now to figure out how to pull live data from the Apex to populate a stats page on the wiki....  :hmmmm:

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
Re: Aquarium Documentation Wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 12:39:17 »
That is an awesome idea!! You could mount a tablet to your tank stand and have that wiki page be persistent.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 12:42:48 »
That is an awesome idea!! You could mount a tablet to your tank stand and have that wiki page be persistent.

Yeah... I thought about that. I just don't think I have an old tablet laying around. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap Kindle Fire when they go on sale.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:53:33 »
got my wife a new ipad for xmas, old one is cleaned out and available. kept in a case, as close to new as you can get.
It costs HOW much?!