2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tank update *now with fish  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Tank update *now with fish
« on: January 28, 2019, 18:30:49 »
I wanted to share a tank update since things have been going well. I have added a couple yellow tangs, blue jaw trigger and some anthias after losing all of my fish last fall. It’s nice to look at the tank and see life in it (other than the corals).

Here is a second video of my bedroom tank, 12g jbj nano cube. It is also doing well. I hoped to make it an anemone cube but I’ve had to use it as a coral overflow, which is also fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 18:36:18 by Heinbaughb »

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Tank update *now with fish
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 19:30:12 »
Looking great brian

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 20:27:39 »

Looks real nice Brian - Nano tanks are cool! Question - I see this coral twice in the larger tank, what is the red plating piece on the right end and it looks like it appears again top to the left?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Tank update *now with fish
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 20:45:27 »

Looks real nice Brian - Nano tanks are cool! Question - I see this coral twice in the larger tank, what is the red plating piece on the right end and it looks like it appears again top to the left?

I believe you’re referring to the Setosa coral. It is one of the brightest corals in my tank. I ended up with it on both sides because I accidentally dropped it when I was cutting it from the plug. It makes a really awesome shape, reminding me of Bryce Canyon when I took a trip there a long time ago.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 20:50:29 »
Brian, both tanks are looking great. That trigger is awesome. How’s he doing with the coral? Also, how did you purchase and quarantine this time around?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 20:55:15 »
Brian, both tanks are looking great. That trigger is awesome. How’s he doing with the coral? Also, how did you purchase and quarantine this time around?
Thanks Jesse, I did a full QT on the trigger. It was hard to watch, he was scared and hid whenever I came in the room. As soon as I put him in the display, happy as can be. No issues with eating coral but my harlequin shrimp has gone missing. The other fish I just dumped in after acclimating to my water. The tangs from Gerber’s and the anthias from Aquarium Artisans. Weighing the pros and cons of QT, I decided it may not be worth it in the end. Too stressful on the fish.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 22:15:49 »

I was at Bryce Canyon as well - real cool place!!!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 03:02:49 »
I am super impressed with your reefkeeping skill. You are doing it right that is for sure. Nice job

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 10:28:47 »
First off the two tanks look amazing. Now, how do you guys keep them glass so shiny? I given up on the glass in this hobby lol. And as for qt, I’ve never had a problem with local fish purchase but I highly suggest qt any fish you would buy online. I crashed a tank from a online purchase which is a shame but then again that might just me my bad luck... I just wanted to get that out there so other local reefers don’t make the same mistake I made. Btw I see that red in that jb. Shrooms are my weakness...

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 11:07:33 »
First off the two tanks look amazing. Now, how do you guys keep them glass so shiny? I given up on the glass in this hobby lol. And as for qt, I’ve never had a problem with local fish purchase but I highly suggest qt any fish you would buy online. I crashed a tank from a online purchase which is a shame but then again that might just me my bad luck... I just wanted to get that out there so other local reefers don’t make the same mistake I made. Btw I see that red in that jb. Shrooms are my weakness...

I agree with your online vs local statement. My first shipment when I first started the tank was with Bluezoo and I had problems ever since. My secret for keeping the glass clean is consistent dosing of Bioptim and Biodigest every 2 weeks. If I notice any increase in the algae on the glass, I increase my biodigest dose frequency.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 17:24:00 »
Beautiful looking tank. Unfortunately as far as saltwater livestock goes I’ve had opposite luck! Hopefully the yellow tang from Gerber’s will change that.
Edit: Never paid attention but do you have anything for flow in the bedroom cube?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 18:49:16 »
Very nice tanks, corals look great, you are doing something right for sure
Jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 18:53:32 »
Beautiful looking tank. Unfortunately as far as saltwater livestock goes I’ve had opposite luck! Hopefully the yellow tang from Gerber’s will change that.
Edit: Never paid attention but do you have anything for flow in the bedroom cube?

I have a ~130 gph return pump which is the biggest I could fit in the back chamber. I bought a nano sized powerhead for the tank but took it out for fear of chop anemone suey. So the flow is pretty minimal but seems to be working fine for what’s in there.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 18:55:26 »
Very nice tanks, corals look great, you are doing something right for sure
Jeff
Thank you Jeff. I’m really liking the Pinky the Bear acro that I got from you at our latest swap.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 22:12:56 »
Thank you Jeff. I’m really liking the Pinky the Bear acro that I got from you at our latest swap.

Pinky is a great coral, grows like a weed and I have yet to harm it no matter what has happened in my tank.  Glad you are enjoying it.
Jeff

Offline ReeferAnon

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 17:46:37 »
Beautiful!