2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2183 times)

Offline John Adams

• Egg
« on: September 09, 2018, 22:18:02 »
I'm in the process of setup a new reef tank.  I had a reef tank from 1987 until 2001 until it developed a leak and I got out of the hobby.  I have been doing my homework on the latest technology for reef keeping. I have purchased two Radion Pro 30 led lights, several Redsea test kits, Hanna Marine Checkers, Simplicity protein skimmer, Eheim Jager heater, RO/DI water system and several other miscellaneous items. I still need the Neptune Apex controller, Neptune 2000 pump, Ecotech MP40 powerhead, as well as several other miscellaneous items.  The final purchase will be the Redsea XL525 reefer, I can't wait to get it all setup. Then of course comes the live corals.  The technology has changed dramatically compared to what it was.
I love to travel on weekends looking for the best frags. I look forward to meeting everyone at some point at frag swaps.  I have listened to almost every BRS video and Reef to Reef presentation. 
My old reef tank was my stress reliever, getting back into the hobby will be great. I love to tinker and improve the system.  I'm interested to hear thoughts from everyone as I venture down this path. 

Kind Regards,

John

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 22:27:06 »
Welcome John. Sounds like you are heading on the right direction. Keep us posted.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 08:14:52 »
Hello and welcome John.

I have a 525XL as well.

Your list of equipment looks pretty solid except for your power head.

1 MP 40 will not provide enough flow for pretty much anything in the tank.

Im not even sure the magnet is strong enough for the glass thickness.

FWIW, I have 1 gyre 250 and an open aquascape and have flow top and bottom across the sand bed.  I am going to add a second.
It costs HOW much?!

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:38:30 »
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you are on the right track with some good equipment. Come on out to one of our meetings and don't forget about our frag swap in October.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 18:13:01 »
Welcome John

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 21:13:58 »
Hey John. I have replied to you twice. Did you get my replies?

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline cbell56

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 06:04:13 »
welcome John

Offline Devoted 2 Fish

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 23:29:46 »
Welcome back to the hobby not sure where your  located but I'm trying to venture into the business of selling coral I have a few nice things that are great starting pieces. Theu are rather nice looking and inexpensive. Of course there are others in the club with more experience and larger selection but if your ever in Middletown contact me.
75 mixed reef, 265 in progress

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:27:46 »
Welcome back to the hobby and glad you joined Ohio Reef.

On a side note I have a reefer 450 for sale that is less than a year old.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 20:14:19 »
Welcome John! I did the same thing. Got out of the hobby in 2008 and just got back in, in 2016. Found this club of great guys/gals in 2017. I have a 75 & a 40 Breeder. Totally addicted to the colored sticks! Good luck on the new build. You should make a build thread and share your progress.