2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Resealing tank (help)  (Read 2741 times)

Offline kframe87

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Resealing tank (help)
« on: November 02, 2014, 21:19:14 »
A while back I got a 34g solana tank I'm going to use as a frag tank. It needs resealed and considering I've never resealed a tank I don't feel comfortable enough to do it in hopes that it don't leak. So I was wondering if any body on here would like to make a few extra bucks or trade for some coral to come reseal this tank. If your interested pm me what you're asking to do it. I live in the greenville area fyi. (Experience people only please) thank you

Offline Miles

• Adult
Re: Resealing tank (help)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 08:45:12 »
I've never done it either, but it doesn't look too hard. I'm planning on doing it soon on one of my tanks. Have you seen this video?

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:07:38 »
I had to reseal 2 sides of my 90g now front, but by no means am I experienced, it's not as hard as you think if it's just one or 2 sides

Offline ThaDon

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:41:03 »
Your in box is full and I have resealed over 20 aquariums with no problems pm me thanks

Offline kframe87

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 18:25:30 »
See i didn't think it would be that hard. It's just the front glass that needs re sealed but I was told it the silicone won't stick to existing silicone so I would have to reseal the whole tank. The part that has me concerned about that is all the filtration and everything is in side the tank and I'd have to i unsilicon all of that and redo the tank. I'll post pics

Offline kframe87

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 23:40:23 »
Do I have to re seal the whole tank or can I do just the front glass?

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:51:53 »
I used rubbing alcohol and a razor blade to scrape off the old stuff (lay down something to catch the silicone, you will miss shavings lol). scrape down to bare glass, and make a somewhat thick layer (I tried to make it thin and pretty and it leaked through 3 times, last time I made it thick and ugly and it's been fine for 6 months)

Offline kframe87

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 09:04:02 »
Haha... Yeah I've research how it's done I just don't trust myself to do it. Lol

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 18:48:16 »
It's not too bad

Offline kframe87

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 05:50:26 »
Is it ok to just re seal the front glass? Could it leak where the existing silicone and the new silicone meet?

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 10:49:44 »
Mine leaked on both front sides of my tank, so I drained the water, scraped the old stuff off, and reseals (took me 3 times to get one side to work right). In my experience I just sealed over where it connects, it does seal over old stuff, just not as securely. As fast as that stuff dries, it's impossible not to put new over dried stuff if you were making a new tank

Offline kframe87

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 19:09:36 »
Right on... I suppose I'll give it a shot. Thank you for all you help and info! I'll let you know if  I need to use my flood insurance 😁

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 21:59:53 »
Lol good luck, when in doubt, people on here will help, someone already offered I think lol

Offline saltykid96

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 14:10:42 »
Mineral spirits work pretty well for getting old silicone off and smoothing out the new stuff you put down without it sticking. Just a tip

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk