2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Frag Swap Ideas  (Read 6497 times)

Blown76mav

Frag Swap Ideas
« on: January 13, 2009, 22:58:36 »
Let me check tommorow at work, I may have place we can use for free(or a small fee of a frag or two ;)) if your willing to travel to Lima.  Its huge at least a 100 x 100 and if we need more room the building is 60,000 sq ft.  I don't want to organize anything just trying to help out.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 13:52:37 by Reef'd Up »

slandis3

Re: Frag Swap Committee
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 18:05:38 »
ok some questions for everyone. Does eveyone still want to have a frag swap? What time of year does the majority people want to have it? What city does should it be in? Blown76mav offered a place in lima, is this to far for everyone? I think once we have locked in these questions it will be easier to get a start on planning this thing for who ever decides to take the chairman's position.

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 19:38:33 »
My main thought is that it should be in dayton. For one main reason. It is central. If you put it on the 75/675 junction some where you put your self 1hr form cinci, 1hr from columbus and 1 hr north of dayton goes pretty far as well as 1hr east goes clear to indiana . If you put it in say lima that puts people from cinci a trillion miles away etc.. etc.... I'd say even putting it east or north of the 75/675 junction very far would be a bad idea. Alot of people will drive an hr to a frag swap not as many will drive 2(+) to a first time frag swap.

I would value success and exposure over free and none central to the region. We could really get a good number from the other big cities if we planned it well.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 22:20:28 »
I might be able to get a warehouse area right at the 675/75 area.  I don't know how many Sq ft  but it's huge.  I'm sure more than 30,000.  I will see what I can do Monday if you all would like me to.  I will need to know an approximate date.  I also know someone who is fantastic at getting companies to give stuff away for things like this.  The only problem is I don't think he will do it for free.  He has a 180 he wants to set up when he buys a new house.  If we can come up with something that might help him with that I think he would do it.  Maybe is someone wanted to build a nice stand for him.  I think he will pay for the wood.  He just doesn't know how to build one.  He is also the guy I will be trying to get the warehouse from.  Let me know what you all think.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 22:50:49 »
I agree on the idea and reasoning of the 75/675 area if we are planning on trying to draw in more than just Ohio Reef people.  I'm willing to go to Lima, but people from other areas probably wouldn't be.  I think we should do one in February, March, or April, try for months when CORA and Cincy aren't doing theirs, so we fill in a downtime.  I seem to remember CORA doing one last May but I was still too new to go.

slandis3

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 22:58:42 »
I agree, I think if we have it march-april the weather may be nicer. That could help bring people out.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 00:12:36 »
I agree with March or April.  The warmer weather will be good.  I will see if he will let us use it somewhere in those 2 months and then come back with some dates.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 01:03:20 »
Don't forget about drive times.  Nothing worse than driving an hour each way for a meeting that makes you want to bang your head on the wall.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 01:20:32 »
I say we have a committee.

We can start with having a list of things that need to be done and in what order. Obviously finding and securing the spot, getting vendors and getting the word out are top few. Surely between all of us we can muscle up a good swap. Again I think it is more about getting good vendors and people to come than anything people just want new corals and to trade.

Also stuff like making the flyer scheme , getting them made. Just members getting the word out on the street and the net.

apelaston

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 01:48:27 »
but someone may be willing to volunteer if they know when it will approx be based on the fact that scheduling can be different for ppl. like construction workers etc r going to be gettn real busy as the weatjer breaks and others will slow down w the weather..but as for a 8-5 person sports and things like that will change sooon as well. an estimated time span may not be a bad idea and location as well to feel out what ppl are wanting but another thread might need startted for he discussions to keep this one on topic.

Charlie

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:57 »
I think with all of the clubs in the area it would be smart if all the groups combined. CORA, Ohio Reef and Cincy for example.  I know it has already been brought up at the other clubs. JMO

slandis3

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 13:24:57 »
here is an idea "borrowed" from another club. This is how they do there frag swap.

we are starting early again this year at planning the frag swap. and again we are looking for volunteers to help with the swap. this includes posting on other websites advertising our swap and whatever needs to be done. all volunteers will have access to the frag swap committee forum were things are discussed concerning the planning and carrying out the frag swap. volunteers will gain free admision to the swap. anyone that is not on the committee will not receive free admission to the swap. let me know if you can help.

This is just another idea. something to think about. Again i would like to help but due to some of the meetings being held on week nights i cannot make it.my only free time is the weekends.Actually im at work now, gotta love my job running a million dollar machine and on the internet at the same time. ;D 

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Frag Swap Ideas
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 14:02:55 »
I think an important thing to keep in mind is when the other frag swaps are.

April usually has CSea (Cleveland), Indy, and Rockford, IL.  (I know those are far away, but many locals still go to them.)

The fall-time has Cincy & CORA.

We don't want to compete with these events (brings bad blood and we won't get a good turn-out.) 

May might be good...kids are still in school (I think) and people will have just gotten their tax returns back! 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 01:50:08 »
May is good temp wise as well. Not to cold not to warm. A bit easier on us for transportation. Could be a little more difficult finding the space as end of May - June are pretty popular times for events.

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 11:20:03 »
Looking at the list of other swaps in April, you're right that May is a better idea, along with tax returns and temperatures.